icon

mids, midbass

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mcben789 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2008 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  
I have a Diamond Audio Hex series 6 1/2" component set with the silk tweet and a pair of Eclipse SW8200 subs. The comps are being pushed by a 4 channel Eclipse amp (75 watts rms x 4, 150 rms x 2). (subs being powered by Kicker 1500 watt amp)
Ok to the question. I've been reading oodles on midbass/mids and i think I would like to possibly put a 7" or 8" up front.
-suggestions on a good woofer to fill the gap between the subs and mids that come in the Diamond component set
-crossover points, how to?
-I don't want to break $250 bucks for this add on.
-should I even do it? lol.
My subs are sent off for repair so a new project for my system would be pretty cool.
Sasquatch...
We know your legend's real...
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 29, 2008 at 1:34 AM / IP Logged  

I don't think your budget is reasonable since you would need to power these mids in some way.  This requires adding a dedicated amplifier for them.  Or do you already have that covered?  Also, In my experience Diamond Audio speakers have pretty impressive midbass performance.  I'm wondering if instead of going through all the expense of adding some midbass drivers, improving the installation of the speakers you have would be the ideal solution.  How are they mounted and in what vehicle?

However if you are dead set on this, then I would suggest a pair of CSS SDX-7 midrange drivers.  I doubt you will find a better performer for any price.  Here's a link: http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=SDX7  And here's a link to a tech page about the drivers the SDX-7 replaced: http://www.acousticconcepts.com.au/extremis.html

mcben789 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2008 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks man. I'm not like a totally critical ear and i love my Diamond speakers, but would there be a considerate difference if I added these midrange drivers you suggested?
I would be willing to put another amp in if it would improve my sound alot.
My speakers are just mounted in the doors of my 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee in an adapter in a stock 6x9 hole. I'm willing to maybe put in kick panels (?) for the midranges you suggested or somewhere else (?).
Sasquatch...
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 01, 2008 at 1:46 AM / IP Logged  

I think the best thing you can do is to improve the installation of the speakers you already have.  Your speakers are more than capable of matching up to your subwoofers, if installed correctly.  I think the world has ingrained in our heads the idea that more is always better.  However with audio, the opposite is true.  Adding a midbass driver may fix a small problem you have, but it will also add other problems.  Now you will have another set of speakers playing overlapping frequencies which will effect the sound.    To reduce this problem you are going to have to spend quite a bit of time finding the proper crossover slope and frequency, as well as the proper output level for these speakers to get them to blend correctly.  And finally you have to find the room in your vehicle for them.

Instead what I suggest doing is getting some sound dampening material and applying it to the doors outer skin, as well as the inner skin.  Make sure to cover as many holes as you can.  This should improve the midbass capabilities of the speakers. 

tubbs04 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2008 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged  

in my ever quest to get those wonderful mid bass frequiencies, I've done everything from multiple 6.5" drivers to having a 10" sub sitting infront of my console. like Mr. Kephart stated, "I think the world has ingrained in our heads the idea that more is always better.  However with audio, the opposite is true."

The solution to my problem is a Correctly installed system (I use the word "is" b/c i'm still working on the install) and taking some good advice from Haemphyst, Mr. Kephart and other members on the board. I've gone from 2 sets of 6.5 components with a 10" up front to a set of 6.5 tang bands, a set of 5" silver flutes, and a 1" vifa tweeter and from what I can tell so far, It's so much cleaner.

start with reinstalling what you already have. I bet you'd be suprised what a 6.5 can do when it's properly installed.

...don't crush the weasel...
tubbs04 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2008 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  

BTW... where in MS you from???? I'm in Columbus.

...don't crush the weasel...
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2008 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  
 i agree with kephart and tubbs try the easiest solutions first and make the MOST of what you currently have. sound deadening  yield tremendous results , also play around with crossover points until your satisfied, after these recomendations you still are unsatisfied it may be time for a speaker upgrade $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
elmore4030 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2008 at 7:39 AM / IP Logged  
I agree going with a set of 6.5 or 8inch woofer and building a box or some form of air tight place and tunning it to around 80 to 100 hz on the lows and crossing it over at around 200 to 250hz .The best way would be get a amp that is capable of bandpass,this way it would be cleaner.But the cheapest way to go would be make your 6.5inch componets mids in a place that is air tight ,so you can get the lower end to sound better at the lows.
Pioneer DEH-P960MP+Multi-CD Player Rockfordfosgate 225.2
Rockfordfosgate T8004 Rockfordfosgate 2 T110D2 InFinity Reference Components 2 sets of 6000cs 2 sets 6800cs
mcben789 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2008 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
I'm in west point...right next door man.
I think i'll try sound dampening the doors more i imagine. Should I seal everything off too or would it be better to make a small enclosure?
Sasquatch...
bkoepp2 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2008 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged  
Comps are usually designed to be in an IB setup, so I'm not sure about an airtight enclosure. BUT before this tread turns into a doodieshow of arguments, CALL the Diamond engineers (technical support, ask for an engineer), and ask!
They made the speaker, they would know!
I bought some MB Quart QSD's and decided to call the engineers at MB. To my surprise they said to go IB instead of sealed b/c that's how they designed them. I love how they sound.
And yes, deaden the doors. I finally saw the light and spent $120 on deadener(RAAMAT BXT), instead of the time and money on amps and midbasses. Really, what's the difference between a 6.5" and a 7-8" woofer when you have juiced 12's. Cut the mids off at 70-80Hz and the subs where they sound best (do the mids first though).
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic