icon

remote start 06 town and country

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
akwormy 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2008 at 3:16 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the airbag tip Chris. Just a clarification - which wiring looked ok? The 06 caravan page or that funky 05 t&c? (thanks)

I got the cold weather tip from your document on bypasses - So the bypass you recommended (X532) is an RF specific bypass not a data bypass since I guess they don't make a data kit for this vehicle? So while I won't need to cut up a key I may still find a transponder issue in cold weather - ok guess that's as good as I can do!

Is the procedure to program a gray key instead of the expensive key with the FOB in the owners manual or can you post it for me easily? (I might find it with the search tool, but I haven't looked yet) I do have two working keys.

Ok so I'm fine to get most of the connections at a normal spot (near the appropriate switch - ignition, headlamp, brake, etc) with the exception of a simple plus 12v that I can run a small gauge wire straight to the battery. Perfect!

So now I've know what to do with the airbag, have a bypass to order, found the right wiring diagram (06 caravan on the vehicle page of this site sounds like the right one), and now all I need is an install guide. My local installer closes before I get off work so I haven't made it there yet to see if they can get it for me.

So does anyone have an install manual for me? (oh and is my "QS-2W" really an astro 4204?)  A post here or an email or a pm - I could even give you a fax number for something from you or from faxback....I just can't even attempt this install without the documentation since I have no idea on the program settings and all that...thanks!

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2008 at 6:25 AM / IP Logged  

well an RF transponder system is basically data. Info is in the key and it is read by the cars transponder ring. when you purchase a bypass, the bypass you get will learn the transponder code from the key. When you start it, the DATA from the bypass will go to the cars computer and voila, it works.  it will always start 100% in cold weather.

you must have two valid keys (with fobs) the gray one is the valet key. that key works if you willing to stash it away in your dash. this is the older style method known as KEY-IN-BOX.

look up the driver side, there is a small firewall hole there enough for yowu to run a 12 - 16 gague wire through for your alarm/rs.

bypasses, there are up and downs to how you purchase them. if you get it at a shop, they can flash it for you and if you run into problms they can always exchange it. If you get it on ebay, its cheaper, but if something goes wrong, your stuck.

if you need astro information, your best bet would be to PM KarTuneMan. He deals with astro alot and should be able to get you some documents.

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 12, 2008 at 9:28 AM / IP Logged  

Use the PURPLE / red at the top plug of the BCM for 12v. Plenty strong. Fuse as close to this connection as you can.

If you want the install guide PM me your email address.

What ever "bypass module" you get, get one that does everything, not just transponder bypass.

akwormy 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2008 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  

well I'm going with the xk532 bypass module - still looking for a vendor and may end up going with crutchfield if I can't find a cheaper place with a good reputation. But that's another issue!

Question - Do the lock, unlock, trunk release, and door sense trigger wires on the bypass have to be connected or does that 'data' wire run all of that without messing with individual wires.

If I have to hook them up I've got more quesitons! Like what I do with the door sense trigger? The instructions show the trigger wire on the bypass going to the RS. I'm just confused because the bypass instructions show the trigger wire going from the bypass to the remote start and I don't have a trigger wire listed on the remote start.

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2008 at 9:15 AM / IP Logged  
maybe if you tell us where you live, you might have a local shop member here that can help you get the bypass you need for a decent price.
akwormy 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2008 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  

I hate to have two threads going, but I'm in Fairbanks AK...main installer here just does the RF bypass and then as needed tackles the rest of the functions with relays, resistors, diodes etc...they don't stock or order the fully featured bypass unit. (my guess is most people don't go for the extra expense of having all the remote doors work etc...)

I did find out that crutchfield will sell me the bypass and let me order, use, and then return the loader so I can flash it. Pretty good deal compared to having to buy a loader for a one time use. Of course the bypass itself isn't a good deal but...

Still hoping for an idea how the bypass actually works - I've looked at the install guide for it and it shows wires hooked up for lock, unlock, door sense trigger, trunk release, etc...do these get hooked up or is all of that done through the data wire?

Thanks all - I've gotten some really good help on this forum and it's much appreciated.

chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2008 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  
The unlock/lock/door trigger/trunk just get connected from the XK532 to the remote starter's respective wires. Not a whole lot to it. The data wire sends that info back and forth from the XK532 to the car.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
akwormy 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2008 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  

thanks again chris - that's kind of my issue though, I don't see door trigger or lock unlock wires on this astro 4204...

it has internal relays for lock unlock - do I connect the bypass wires to one pin (87, 87A, or 30?) and then connect the vehicle lock/unlock wire (it's the same wire) to another pin (87, 87A, or 30?)  Or do I have to use one of the programmable leads on the RS? (would that then be pulse before, after, or one of the other settings?)

same for door sense trigger - there is one on the vehicle and one on the bypass but no door sense trigger on the 4204...another programmable lead? (what type of programming?)

sorry if these are strange questions....just a little more help and I'll be all over it!

chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2008 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  
I've never installed Astro but after reading their manuals that have been uploaded to the12volt.com I'm a bit confused about the door trigger.
If the one you're installing isn't an alarm, however, it may just not have a door trigger input in which case you can ignore that wire from the bypass module. Door trigger isn't really necessary for keyless or RS.
As far as the lock/unlock - 87's to ground, 87a's to nothing, and 30's to the respective wires on the bypass.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
akwormy 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2008 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  

terrific info - I'm starting to get it, thanks!

So bypass lock wire goes to 30 on the internal lock relay on the RS  -

But I'm not seeing a complete communications loop, doesn't something need to go from the RS to the vehicle to finish that control circuit? In other words don't I need to connect the lock wire of the vehicle (also the unlock wire on this t&c) to the RS unit?

Thanks again for the help

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic