powering jl w7’s

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nyguy4u 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2008 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys.

I need some advice. I just purchased a Nissan 350Z. For those of you that are not familiar with the car, the hatch area is VERY limited. I can add 10's VERY easilly. And add 12's, with some issues in the way. Is there a HUGE difference between W7 10's, and 12's? If I want to stick with 10", is W7's even the way to go?.. I thought they were JL's "top of the line"

Also, as far as powering them. I am a JL fanboy, and I want to stick with JL amps. I want bass that can be felt heard. So with that said, should I get 2 seperate amps to power each of the subs? Or would I be able to purchase one amp to power both? And what JL amps would be recomended in each of the scenerios? Price isn't an issue.

Any help I can have with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 07, 2008 at 7:30 PM / IP Logged  
Is price not an issue for you??
I wouldn't go with 12's under the rear strut brace...not enough space for 12W7's.
The W7 subs are nice drivers but for the price I would never buy them...the W6 drivers are awesome though.
nyguy4u 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2008 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  

I heard good things about the W6's, but on paper.. W7s are better, aren't they?

If I was to go with 2 10W6's, would 500/1 to each be better? Or 1000/1 to both of them?

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2008 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
Go with the W6, I too like it better than the W7. Plan out your box before you buy subs though, and speak with your local JL dealer about this too, they should be able to recommend the best box size/type for the subs, you may end up having to only get a single 12" with a larger ported box to get the best sound/loudness. 1 sub in the proper box can be louder and sound better than 2 subs in a crappy box.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 08, 2008 at 1:37 AM / IP Logged  

I just don't understand how someone can like the W6 better than the W7 beyond budget concerns.  Sure the W6 sounds awesome, but the W7 has it's own unique sound that blows me away every time I hear it.  The motor design used in it is more expensive to build due to the custom machining on the pole piece which makes the difference.  Even my boss was blown away when we picked up JL and heard the W7 for the first time.  And he's kind of an SPL junkie.

A single 1000/1 should be fine for either setup.  Technically you could go with dual 1000/1's with a pir of W7's, but that would be a  pretty big strain on your electrical system.  And the extra output probably won't be significant.

jvillefinest 
Copper - Posts: 255
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2008 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged  
I would think of the car first. Lets be honest...that car is incredibly SMALL! i have heard two CRAPPY 10s in that car hammer before. if you were to do 1 10w7 or even make fit 1 12w7 running of a 500/1 that would sound great! The electrical system would have a huge problem with a 1000/1 unless you did a battery (where you going to put that one) and/or an alternator. In the end your using great equipment and either way it will be loud and sound great.
2007 Acura TSX
SQ setup in the works
nyguy4u 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2008 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  

well, I really want to go with JL's because my buddy has a Z as well with JLs and it was amazing.

I'm pretty set on 10's. With that said though, some are saying W6's are better. Others are saying W7's are better. Isn't the W7's JL's flagship sub? Why would I go with a W6 rather than a W7?

Regardless if I went with a W7 or W6, should I get a 1000/1 to power both?.. or should I get 2 500/1 to power each? I am willing to toy with other amp brands if it will save me money. How are Kenwood and Alpine amps?

944guy 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2008 at 8:08 AM / IP Logged  
Don’t want to take away from the w7's but if price is not an issue there are a few nice drivers iv seen. If it were me personally, I would go with a Cerwin-Vega Stroker Pro-12 or the Aura NS12-794-4A 12 inch.
audiomaninc 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2008 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  

JL's slash amplifiers may sound good but are incredibly inefficient, which will create a ridiculous strain on your stock electrical system.  Maybe consider the Alpine PDX series or Rockford's small Power series amps. 

Jason @ AudioMan

2003 Dodge Neon R/T
Alpine CDA9813, RF T2000.1bd, RF T162S, RFT142C, RF T600.4, RF T215D4
140.7 @ 28Hz
chillin420 
Copper - Posts: 236
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2008 at 12:26 PM / IP Logged  
i can get a pretty good deal on rockford products right now.  let me know if you want a power series amp.
you can do it....
advanced MECP, lol does it really matter....
patience is a virtue
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic