viper 5701 and 1701g 2007 yukon denali

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
scottieny 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2008 at 9:28 AM / IP Logged  
Hi,
I had the Viper 5701 unit installed along with the 1701g bypass unit on my 2007 Yukon Denali by a 'professional' alarm installation shopped recommended by Directed. It appears that everything works the way its supposed to with the exception of no Dome light supervision during disarming / unlocking the car via the remote.
It appears after several hours of inactivity the unit will not respond the way it should. When I try to disarm/unlock the car the alarm will disarm while the locks will do nothing. This only happens after several hours of inactivity. I'm assuming there is an issue with the 1701g bypass unit. Perhaps its going into sleep mode and not waking up until I start the car up again? Or do you think it might have something to do with the power being supplied to the 1701g unit?
Its the strangest thing I've seen, everything works well as soon as I turn off the car, I would say the unit works well for a least a few ours, after that only the alarming and disarming aspect works. The power door locks and remote start will not work. Strange, any ideas?
dtk1 
Copper - Posts: 179
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2008 at 9:38 AM / IP Logged  
not the first time I see this. basically whats happening is the car BCM is going asleep after several hours to conserved the battery I would recomend you to take it back to the installer let them know whats going on see what they can do. sometimes you could just send a negative pulse to a door pin or if he used negative parking lights at the BCM it would wake the BCM up
scottieny 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2008 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged  
Hi DTK1,
Would the BCM going to sleep still be the issue even if the factory remote is able to unlock the doors? I tried both the Viper remote and the factory remote, the Viper remote will only unarm the car but will not lock the door locks or work with the remote start. The factory remote will unlock the doors. Even after unlocking the door and going into the car the alarm will arm itself within 30 seconds, it doesn't register that the door as been opened.
As mention in my previous post this all happens after a few hours of inactivity. Otherwise everything works fine. I am going to the dealer and I want to be able to best describe what is happening, unfortunately they will not be able to witness this anomaly occurring unless they have the car over night which is not an option.
Could it be that the bypass is not connected properly, like its not either being ground properly or something?
dtk1 
Copper - Posts: 179
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2008 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  
its usually the bcm asleep an the only way to wake it up would be by either factory key less entry or a negative pulse to wake it up i.e parking lights you could also try locking the car let the window down park it for a couple of hours and try to unlock it from the switch in the inside. In my opinion take it back to who ever did it
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2008 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  
I will agree, just take it to who installed it and let them fix it. It will teach them a lesson so the next time that type vehicle comes in, they will remember what needs to be hooked up and how to hook it up while it gets done under a warranty since they should have been aware of this problem.
To also add in defense of the shop since I am a professional installer, sometimes information of that nature is not always available when you first encounter some newer vehicles, I would give them the benefit of the doubt and give them a chance to correct the problem.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
scottieny 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2008 at 8:58 AM / IP Logged  
You guys have been a great help, took it to the shop, they are looking at why it does what it does, there initial believe is that the 1701g bypass needs to be replace, which they did, no luck...
Not to make matters worst but I was showing them how the dome light doesn't turn on while using the viper alarm, it does with the factory system. Also if the alarm is triggered the headlights will not flash, the gm factory unit flashes the headlights.
I believe the install was done incorrectly, I'm not sure how many of you have experience with the Viper 5701 (Responder LE) but it seems to have all these issues, perhaps its just a new system that the installers haven't dealt with yet?
By the way if I try to trigger or disarm the alarm on silent mode (f + lock, or f + unlock), the system stops working...
The installers reponds to all this is that its not really meant to work like that on a yukon denali since the security set up. I've read other forums with this alarm working fine on a 2007 tahoe and escalade.
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2008 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  
I have had experience with the interface in this vehicle and I can tell you what I know.
The interface is not designed to communicate that much information between the vehicle and after market alarm.
It takes in a negative input like door lock command then translates it through the data wire in OBDII port to tell the vehicle to lock. It will also take the door trigger and then translate that into a negative signal to trigger the door input on alarm. It doesn't translate dome light supervision from remote starter, it just doesn't have an input for it.
The same is true for a panic function though the bypass is not possible unless you use an extra channel to trigger it.
The Viper flashes the parking lights and not headlights unless you get into installing extra parts and labor of adding relays, diodes if needed and added wire.
You can't activate silent mode, that doesn't have a translation method either and that might be the reason it stops working.
I thought you could wire the dome supervision with a relay separately along with the bypass if you want that feature but I couldn't say right now because I don't have all my information from that vehicle with me.
"The installers reponds to all this is that its not really meant to work like that on a yukon denali since the security set up. I've read other forums with this alarm working fine on a 2007 tahoe and escalade."
It is possible that the installation method they used avoided use of the interface so that silent was usable and the other functions were usable but it did not use the factory alarm or factory transmitter and people used just new Viper alarm only. That could be why they didn't have an issue.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
enice 
Silver - Posts: 857
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2008 at 7:24 AM / IP Logged  
Techman is right on everthing he is saying....the only other method I would recommend is to use the XK01 instead of the 1701g module.  According to bypasskits.com XK01 has the ability to behave like the factory remote which is something I think you want.  They need to contact bypasskits to make sure that that is true for the XK01 since it does mention it works with select vehicles.... 
scottieny 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2008 at 8:55 AM / IP Logged  
Once again thank you all for your help. I guess the 1701g module doesn't get along with the Yukon denali (2007) that well. The dealer decided to either reflash the module with the most current firmware or just switch the module to a different one. I didn't pay much attention since I was testing all the features to make sure it works. In either case thank you all for your help...
scottieny 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2008 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  
One thing I do notice that I didn't notice before is the headlamp warning chime going off as soon as I open the car door after the ignition has been turned off. The warning chime goes away as soon as I close the door. Is this normal, I wonder if something is causing feedback to the system. I guess any kind of installs/mods done to a car is bound to change a system setting.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic