icon

viper 5701, 2007 mazdaspeed 3

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 30, 2008 at 2:01 PM / IP Logged  

If the plug is disconnected then you won't read voltage.

If the plug is disconnected, use the ohm scale. Black probe to chassis ground. Red probe to the BLACK / YELLOW you want to test.

With hood closed = close to 0 ohms.

With hood open = will show "open" on meter or an infinite resistance.

Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2008 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  
KarTuneMan wrote:

Why is there NO mention about the clutch on this car, and the fact of the VIPER unit?

Am I simply being impatient.... and this will be the very next question posted?

For one....a DEI unit designed for manual transmission vehicles is being used.
I used a Compustar unit designed for an automatic in my Speed3. I connected the brake wire to the neutral wire at the ECU, Wire shows (+) when in any gear. If I leave the car in gear, it won't remote start because it thinks the brake pedal is being pushed. Everyday when I leave my driveway I shift before stepping on the brake. When that happens, I hear the remote start shutting downs so I know the neutral wire is still working.
Your argument will be....the switch at the car's transmission can fail. Well, so can manual transmission remote starters. Do I have to find the post that was posted here a week or two ago about over 10,000 remote starters designed for manual transmissions being recalled because they can remote start when in gear? I'll take my chance any day with a switch inside a transmission versus a sequence designed by a remote start company, as well as the potential for a software malfunction. Also, in the 5 months I have owned my Speed3 I have not parked it in gear. Nobody else drives my car. I put it in valet mode before having it serviced, and the mechanic is given the OEM remote.   owned 2 Subaru's before this that had neutral wires at the ECU, both had automatic remote starters without a problem. The Acura RSX-S I owned before the Speed3 had a manual transmission remote start because it did not have a neutral wire.
elbartorex 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2008 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  
Big Dog wrote:

If the plug is disconnected then you won't read voltage.

If the plug is disconnected, use the ohm scale. Black probe to chassis ground. Red probe to the BLACK / YELLOW you want to test.

With hood closed = close to 0 ohms.

With hood open = will show "open" on meter or an infinite resistance.

I'm green, but im not THAT green-- I put the plug back in when I tested it.

thanks for the tip though.  This forum rules.

JWORM-- install day is tomorrow..wooot!  Thanks again for all your help !

JWorm 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2008 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  
elbartorex wrote:

JWORM-- install day is tomorrow..wooot!  Thanks again for all your help !

If you have any questions throughout the day drop me an email. I should be around if you have any questions. Sorry I didn't get around to answering your email about how I strip wires. I use a knife and a hook tool. I have not seen anybody else use the same technique.
JWorm 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2008 at 11:47 AM / IP Logged  
elbartorex wrote:

Ok--- I found this wire on my 07 speed3

viper 5701, 2007 mazdaspeed 3 - Page 4 - Last Post -- posted image.

Can someone explain how to test wires properly?

I put my meter to DC power at 20V, put the black probe to chassis ground and tested the wire with the red probe.

I got different readings with the hood up and down, but it wasnt an obvious 5-12v with the hood up and 0 with it down.

am I testing the wires incorrectly?

I tested this wire on my car today, and it does not work. Must only be on certain models.
elbartorex 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2008 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  
JWorm wrote:
I tested this wire on my car today, and it does not work. Must only be on certain models.
J-- I did my install today- everything went very smooth and turned out great!
The yellow/black wire on the green plug is definitely not the hood pin on the Mazdaspeed3. I actually opened up the enclosure on the near the hood latch and found a small sensor with that used a BLACK/ white wire and a solid brown wire. I have no idea if this is actually a pin switch or some other sensor. There is a BLACK/ white wire on the green plug so I tested it and no dice. I have no idea if the MS3 even has a   pin switch-- but needless to say I just omitted the hood pin feature. Otherwise everything else went in very cleanly-- the arm/disarm wires in the drivers kick worked like a charm, as well as the dome light for the door pins. For anyone else attempting a basic install here are the exact wires you need for the Mazdaspeed3--
constant 12V - Thick Gauge Red - ignition harness
ignition - Thick Gauge Yellow - ignition harness
parking lights- BLACK/ White - headlight stalk harness
unlock/disarm - BLACK/ White - drivers kick
lock/arm - BLACK/ Blue - drivers kick
doorpin/domelight - BLACK/ Blue- passenger kick, harness closest to firewall
hatch pin- BLACK/ Red - passenger kick, harness closest to firewall
hood pin- ???????
thanks to everyone to helped me out-- an alarm install can be done by a noob with a good planning and research
elbartorex 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2008 at 11:26 PM / IP Logged  
JWorm wrote:
The yellow/black wire on the green plug is definitely not the hood pin on the Mazdaspeed3. I actually opened up the enclosure on the near the hood latch and found a small sensor with that used a BLACK/ white wire and a solid brown wire. I have no idea if this is actually a pin switch or some other sensor. There is a BLACK/ white wire on the green plug so I tested it and no dice. I have no idea if the MS3 even has a   pin switch-- but needless to say I just omitted the hood pin feature. Otherwise everything else went in very cleanly-- the arm/disarm wires in the drivers kick worked like a charm, as well as the dome light for the door pins. For anyone else attempting a basic install here are the exact wires you need for the Mazdaspeed3--
hood pin- ???????
thanks to everyone to helped me out-- an alarm install can be done by a noob with a good planning and research
elbartorex 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2008 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  
JWorm wrote:
hood pin- ???????
Page of 4

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic