icon

viper 5701, 2007 mazdaspeed 3

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
krystm 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2008 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  
I'd like to start off by saying obviously I am new to the forums more of a lurker though and just wanted to say the community here is great. Anyways I decided on getting the Viper 5701 and it will arrive on Monday and I was wondering first is there anything I need to get sepearte to make this work? my car does have the immobilizer thing so not sure if I need a work around for that?
Also besides the fact of needing an install manual could anyone point me in the right direction to obtaining one?
And the last is probably covered in my question how does programming work with this alarm. I read there was a USB port on this? Can I just plug it in to my computer and program it?
I have a background in electronics and computers so I know my way around for the most part and it would kill me to have to pay someone to install it.
Thanks for any help in advance.
Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 15, 2008 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged  

HOLY @#&^%$* !

Dude...pay someone! Then sit there and watch him do the install - you'll feel like you got a bargain when you hear him swearing.

The install guide is nearly 100 pages! You gotta read every word in every paragraph on every page! Then you start over.

Seasoned installers feel like newbies when they install these. It is possible to program features with the "valet" switch on the command center but it ain't easy. A Bitwriter will do the trick with the appropriate chip and software for the 5701. USB is for using the bootloader for XK bypass module programming.

Mazda 3 has N.C. doorpins which require a pull-up circuit be built or get a 452D from DEI.

Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2008 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 2008 Mazdaspeed 3. Same wiring as a 2007. You can actually use the (+) door trigger input of the alarm and it will work fine. You will need 4 diodes to isolate the 4 door trigger wires.
The car also has a neutral position sensing wire (BLACK/ orange) at the ECU under the hood that will read (+) when in gear, and (-) when in neutral. Hooking this wire up to the brake input of the remote start (diode isolated from the real brake wire of course) will prevent the car from attempting to start in gear. I haven't installed a 5701, but it is one of the newly designed units that has the manual remote start interface built in.
Having a background in computers and electronics will do very little to help you. It may help you understand relays and diodes, but it won't help you find your way around a car.
krystm 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2008 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry about that I may not be a mechanic or electrical engineer however with my dad being an electrician and I have pretty much torn every part of the car down all I really need is the wiring schematics and I would be fine I'd think. I know where all my wires are and how to get to them I just need to know which wires I need to get to.
I just was wondering if this is really gonna be that hard. The thing that doesn't make sense is that it's advertised as a much easier install then a standard alarm with the relays and less wires. The big thing I was wondering was about the immobilizer for starting it, and what I should expect to pay for the parts required to install it.
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2008 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  
Mazda should use a XK04 flashed to PKF3
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 16, 2008 at 1:40 AM / IP Logged  

Your dad is an electrician..... hmmmm?

Keep him away from your car. Wire nut's have NO place in any install of any kind.

If I had a dollar for everytime I have heard the comment about some friend, or relative being an electrician....

I believe there are some similarities for the skill needed to wire your new addition to the house

and some basics to automotive electronics. But.....

Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 16, 2008 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  

Jworm, it's a combo so he can't use the domelight wire - it turns on at end of runtime.

However, I had someone do a F350 with NC doorpins and he simply connected the positive door trigger input of the 5701. The 7 volt rise from ground was enough to trigger the alarm. He'll still needed to isolate the four doors from each other.

OK, because I'm suicidal and have a fatal attraction to challenges, I'll help you out krystm.

Is this a manual or auto shift car? The 5701 comes in manual transmission mode by default. If it's an automatic, you'll need to re-program the 5701 control module as per instructions in supplement.

Here is the INSTALL GUIDE

Here is the INSTALL GUIDE SUPPLEMENT

Here is the OWNERS GUIDE

Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
krystm 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2008 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  
Big Dog wrote:

Jworm, it's a combo so he can't use the domelight wire - it turns on at end of runtime.

However, I had someone do a F350 with NC doorpins and he simply connected the positive door trigger input of the 5701. The 7 volt rise from ground was enough to trigger the alarm. He'll still needed to isolate the four doors from each other.

OK, because I'm suicidal and have a fatal attraction to challenges, I'll help you out krystm.

Is this a manual or auto shift car? The 5701 comes in manual transmission mode by default. If it's an automatic, you'll need to re-program the 5701 control module as per instructions in supplement.

Here is the INSTALL GUIDE

Here is the INSTALL GUIDE SUPPLEMENT

Here is the OWNERS GUIDE

Its actually a Manual Turbo Car. So the big thing I am looking at is the turbo timer and workaround for the immobilizer. Quotes I am receiving are 68 /hr with hopefully a max of 4 hrs so around 300 to install.... So I dunno what to do at this point.
Regardless of my skills or dads skills or friends skills I am competent enough to do this myself and would really like to save money and put the alarm where I want instead of where the installer wants to just slap it in.
I am just looking for pointers and things to look out for during this install.
krystm 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2008 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged  
Also if I can do this install myself I could buy the bitwriter for way cheaper then paying someone to install it. And I would be willing to do that so I could make changes when adding new modules etc.
Why can't I edit my own posts?!
Mark Mizenko 
Copper - Posts: 460
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2008 at 1:28 PM / IP Logged  
Best of luck to you.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic