icon

amp enters protection after volume 11

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
charney 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2008 at 12:58 PM / IP Logged  
I am having issues with my amp entering protection mode after my stereo reaches volume 11. I have a pioneer TS-WX100BP setup and I am attempting to power it with a Sony Xplod XM-554ZR amplifier. I have had this sub powered by a Thump amp previously, but it stopped working, and i wanted a new one. The sony amp is brand new, and i have had the sub and box for a while now. After connecting everything the sub works until i hit volume 11. As soon as i go from10 to 11 the amp enters protection mode.( I usually listen to music around 25 to 30 volume) I would appreciate the help.
joch1314 
Copper - Posts: 301
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2008 at 1:14 PM / IP Logged  

What impedance is your sub, and is your amp a 2 channel, 4 channel or a mono amp?  it may have to do with the fact that the subs impedance it to low, and the amp can't handle the load that the sub is demanding from it! 

...half of the truth can be worse than a lie. <----Roger Russell said that..
charney 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2008 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  
My amp is a 4 channel amp, and my sub is a 4 ohm SVC
tubbs04 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2008 at 1:51 PM / IP Logged  
how do you have the sub wired into the amp?
...don't crush the weasel...
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2008 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  
... and how did you set your gain?
Support the12volt.com
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2008 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  
The BEST you can hope for would be bridging two of the amp channels. You CANNOT use all four channels with a single voice coil woofer.
The 554 amp (I am gonna guess) is 55 watts X 4, at 4 ohms correct? Into 2 ohms, maybe 75 to 100 watts? In the case of a single 4 ohm bridged load, the amp will make around 150 to 200 watts per bridged pair. (It IS a Sony, so take those numbers with a BIG grain of salt...) The other channels must remain either unused, or connected to another woofer (or woofer voice coil, if you had a dual 4 ohm voice coil woofer) or speaker set.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
charney 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2008 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  
I bridged the two rear channels like the manual said to. Thats also how i had it with my old amp. To set the gain i had the gain as low as it would go and put my volume around medium of what i would use it and then turned the gain up....it also shut off after i turned the gain up past 3 quarters.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 16, 2008 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  
Do you have a Pioneer radio?    Have you tried bridging the 2 front channels of the amp instead of the rear channels?
chillin420 
Copper - Posts: 236
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2008 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  
your gain should not be that high.  should be around 0 to 30 % at max that is about as far as i will take any gain.  if it still isnt loud enough then you need a bigger amp.
you can do it....
advanced MECP, lol does it really matter....
patience is a virtue
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2008 at 4:44 PM / IP Logged  
charney wrote:
I am having issues with my amp entering protection mode after my stereo reaches volume 11.

I had the same problem with my new Alpine HU right - for weeks I couldn't figure it out.  Checked the gains, voltage, everything.  I called Alpine, JL Audio, probably posted here. . . .

Turns out I was so drunk when I wired the deck I hooked the left-front-negative speaker lead to the remote turn on. amp enters protection after volume 11 -- posted image.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic