icon

chosing an amp for two 12'' type r's

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
95gt 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2008 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  
  I'm trying to get the best bang for my buck.  We are powering two 12 " Alpine Type R's w/ dual 4ohm voice coils.  RMS for each is form 250-500.  Considering a poweracoustiks 3000D.  We are on a mighty short financial rope, so any help would be greatly appreciated........ Thank you
mattriley0503 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2008 at 2:18 PM / IP Logged  
To be honest man If you have type-R's you shouldn't get an amp with less than 500w-rms x2 since each sub has an rms of 500 using both voice coils your going to want to use them to their potential. I know that the alpine m-1000 amp is perfect for those it goes for about 400 tho and the rockford p-1000 is real nice too but that goes for around 550 so its going to cost you a good amount for the perfect amp to match up with those subs. but trust me i work at best buy and have heard two type-r 12's in a custom made ported box with each of those amps and they hit so lovein hard. it sounds awesome
95gt 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2008 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  
Hey thank you,  I appreciate your input and figured I'd have to spend more money than I had planned to get them to sound good.  m-1000 is that the same as the pdx1.1000?
95gt 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2008 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  
 I'm also thinking of possibly getting a 2 channel amp, what would the pros or cons be to that.  I believe that my subs are wired parrallel, single channel amp w/ hot to pos and - to - , then + to + and  - to -, then same from first sub to second sub. Parrallel? or series?.  HELP, I'M AN ELECTRONIC IGNORAMOUS. TY
mattriley0503 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2008 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  
im not sure if its the same as the pdx 1000 amp but i know a mono block would be the best fit for two type-R's and you definentaly are going to want to wire them in parallel b/c that is going to be able to take them down to a 2-ohm load which is what you want but be careful with what car your putting it into cause it could possibly shatter your back window.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2008 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged  
95gt, the PDX1.1000 is NOT the same amp as recommended. I use that same amp, and it is a VERY good amp, but it'll cost you. It will NOT do 1 ohm, but it will do 1000 watts RMS at either 4 ohms (which you CAN provide) or 2 ohms (which you cannot provide).
I would STRONGLY recommend against the Power Crapcoustik amplifier. In the case of amplifiers, you will ALWAYS get what you pay for eventually, whether in reliability or fidelity, but in the case of the questioned amp, you'll get little of both, and quickly. Translation: It's garbage. If "fundage" is the issue, you're better off waiting a little while to save for better quality gear.
mattriley0503, to even IMAGINE that two 12's with only 1000 watts could BEGIN to blow the back window out of a car, shows that you know VERY little about electronics, acoustics, and physical properties of air. Please do some research before you decide that this is the kind of place to spew garbage information like that. Also, two 4-ohm DVC woofers cannot provide a 2-ohm load, no matter HOW you wire them. You can provide 1, 4, and 16 ohms. That's it.
So, gt95, you can buy a monoblock amplifier that is stable at 1 ohm, or you can buy a stero amplifier stable bridged into 4 ohms. (That's the same as a stereo amp stable to 2 ohms per channel.) Those are your options for maximum output.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
trapt_spirit 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2008 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  
y dont u get a hifonics 1606 it is 1 ohm stable and has more than enough power so you dont have 2 crank the amp
mazzasec 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2008 at 11:58 PM / IP Logged  
kicker zx1000 would do good if ur subs are d2 maybe even the zx1500 the type r's are pretty underrated and ive seen some taking alot of abuse!
95gt 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2008 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  
hey guys, thanks for all the replies.  I still would like to know how my subs are wired currently, parrallel or series.  Here's how they are wired.  Positive from amp to first sub positive terminal, negative from amp to first sub negative terminal, then both pos. and neg to same on 2nd voice coil of first sub, then from 2nd voice coil on first sub pos/pos and neg/neg then to the 2nd voice coil the same pos/pos, neg/neg.  Is that parralel or series and which one gives me 4 ohms instead of 8 ohms?   Thank you
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2008 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  
That's parallel. All four of your voice coils are wired in parallel, presenting one ohm to the amp.
Check out the wiring options at the subwoofer wiring wizard, here...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic