the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

5.25 mid bass recommendations peerless

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 26, 2008 at 12:27 AM / IP Logged  

teenkertoy wrote:
Steven Kephart wrote:
The formula for this would be D^2/lambda (the diameter squared divided by the wavelength of the frequency).
Not to derail the thread, because it's excellent, but I'm interested in the formula you posted. Where did you find it, where can I learn more about it?
-Justin

It's just one of the things I learned when I worked at Adire Audio.  It' really nice to have a brilliant boss like Dan Wiggins around.  You can find some tech papers written by him and his partner Dr. David Hyre in the link below.

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/

Laojoe99 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2008 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  
Let me ask you guys this question, do you think with over 30 years of experience, do you guys think Mr. Von Schweikert would be able to make the speakers sound good from the kick panels and the tweeters up on the dash somewhere instead of being near the kick panels? I was thinking of putting the tweeters on the pillars
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2008 at 1:03 PM / IP Logged  

LAOJOE99 wrote:
Let me ask you guys this question, do you think with over 30 years of experience, do you guys think Mr. Von Schweikert would be able to make the speakers sound good from the kick panels and the tweeters up on the dash somewhere instead of being near the kick panels? I was thinking of putting the tweeters on the pillars

Not without some significant time delay circuitry.

Oh by the way, D2/lambda is standard acoustics science.

Support the12volt.com
Laojoe99 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2008 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  
I found a Seas driver and would like you guy's opinion on if you think it'll work on my application. The model number is H1262. let me know what you think.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2008 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  
Seas Prestige drivers are very nice.  That midrange probably has usable extension down to about 200Hz and since it's a paper cone, it'll probably be fine up to 3200Hz or so, if that suits your design.  A 5" driver starts beaming at about 2700Hz, so if you are off-axis you may want to keep it below that.
Support the12volt.com
falconyellow 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2008 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  
LAOJOE99 wrote:
Shouldn't you ask him that?
It's probably a bad idea. The only time I use tweeters in the A-pillar is when there is no path length difference between them and the mids they are playing with. I.E. when viewed from the side of the car, there is a perfect triangle between the speakers and your head. Or stated another way, if you measure from the left tweeter to your head and the left mid to your head, the measurements are the same. That's the only time I do that because I've never had the luxury of time alignment gear to "fix" the differences in length.
*goes back to lurking now*
Laojoe99 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2008 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  
Of course I asked him that, and of course he answered yes, but he's been doing home audio, and I don't want to doubt the man, but I would like to know what car audio guys think because they are more familiar with this kind of setup. Just reading up on these posts makes it seem like this isn't going to be an easy task, but Mr. Von Schweikert told me not to worry about it, and that he can get it done... we're just gonna have to wait and see I guess
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic