how many watts can alpine type r handle

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2008 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  

Alpine Guy wrote:
I think he means, you can run a ka-gillion watts if you want, as long as you know when to stop turning up the volume. You can hear when a sub is starting to cry for mercy.

What I am trying to say is, if the volume is turned down the amp would not be pushing the full 'ka-gillion' watts.

The OP didn't ask what the largest amp he can put on his Type-R, and yes a 'ka-gillion watt' amp would work, but the Type-Argh can still only handle 1200watts RMS -just cause that's the highest answer we've seen so far (from aznboi).

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 29, 2008 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
akickz wrote:
aznboi3644 wrote:
"If you know what you are doing" means keeping the signal clean and unclipped also.
How do I keep the signal clean and unclipped?
by properly setting up the amplifier
killa101 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2008 at 1:25 AM / IP Logged  
aznboi3644 wrote:
IF you know what you are doing...most people don't and fry them with rated power.
What you also need to do is make a proper enclosure for the subs. If you have a ported enclosure you need to make sure that you are not going to be pushing the sub past it's mechancial limits (i.e. making sure the sub isn't overexcurding). In a ported enclosure that is going to be more important then pushing it past it's thermal limits.
sdh0001 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2008 at 12:50 AM / IP Logged  
I have two type R 10" subs. I'm considering a singe chamber ported box. I can go a maximum of 5.7 cubic feet. That's probably WAY too big. I was wondering what the best size box would be and what port length ( 4 or 6 round) or total area and size of a square port.
Could I make a big O'l box like that work? Or any other suggestions?
I'm opened to going sealed too. Just looking for the best SPL I can get (at the lowest reasonable FQ)
Thanks for any suggestions
aznboi3644 
Posted: June 08, 2008 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  
type r's and sealed boxes suck.
I'd recommend 1.5 cu ft for each 10 and tune between 35-40Hz.
If you want more SPL than anything than tune to 40Hz.
3 cu ft box with two 4 inch round ports 11.25" long will get you there
sdh0001 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2008 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  

thanks aznbo13644!!!  Say, do you mean build a single chamber box 3 cubic feet total internal for both tens and then add 2 4" ports 11.25" long?  If so, is this tuned to 40hz or 35?  I do want SPL, but would rather do 35 instead of 40 for better quality and sacrafice a few dbs.

By the way... do you think an enclosure like this one could keep up with and/or sound better and/or play louder than 2 Audiobahn Flame Q DVC subs in a 4 cube ported box?

I've got a little neighbor contest we started last month and I'm trying to ensure I've got those dang audiobahn's taken care of how many watts can alpine type r handle - Page 2 -- posted image.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!

PS... plan to run a Brtus 1501 hifonics amp to the alpines...enough power for them?

aznboi3644 
Posted: June 09, 2008 at 2:54 AM / IP Logged  
that should be enough power for them...well the box should be 3 cubes NET VOLUME...so after port/sub/bracing displacements.
Using two 11.25" long 4" round ports will give you right around 40Hz tuning and be short enough to have the ports on the same baffle as the speakers without having to bend them.
Unless you want a slot ported design I can make one for you tuned to 35-36hz that will rape those Audiocrap Lame Q's
I usually tune to 38-40Hz and it sounds fine...the SQ isn't bad at all...yeah the low end may not be as loud as 35Hz and higher maybe but really you're buddy probably has a high tuned enclosure as well...most likely prefab.
sdh0001 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2008 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  

[QUOTE=aznboi3644]Unless you want a slot ported design I can make one for you tuned to 35-36hz that will rape those Audiocrap Lame Q's QUOTE]

YES ABSOLUTELY!  I'd love a design like that.  Here's what I have to work with:  Box has to be 11.25" tall.  Has to be 17" deep.  I can go up to 49" in total width.  So I can adjust the width to what-ever you think I need.  I'm using 3/4" MDF.  THANKS SO MUCH!!!!

As for his box... well, be actually built it, and it's built surprising well and solid... it of course has no carpet or finsh on it how many watts can alpine type r handle - Page 2 -- posted image.

Thanks for the help on this, I greatly appreciate it!

aznboi3644 
Posted: June 13, 2008 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged  
How's this look???
3 cu ft tuned to 36Hz
how many watts can alpine type r handle - Page 2 -- posted image.
sdh0001 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2008 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  

I am VERY IMPRESSED!  How wide is the port, and long is it?  I'll likely build it just as you have pictured above... but would it matter if I moved the port on the opposite side next to the subs?  The port would then wrap behind the subs.  If it would be better to have the port where you have it drawn, I'll build it there.  Finally, I see the short brace in between the two subs.  Could I keep that out and double-face the box?

Thanks!!!!!!!!  Nice Design!

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic