icon

gps tracking on 04+ mercedes clk 430

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
visionsss 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2008 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  

I have 7 years installation experience. I have done nearly all types of vehicles EXCEPT for some of the high ends like Mercedes and BMW. I have just recieved my first request for a Late Model Mercedes installation and I am not sure its a job I should take.

Basically its a GPS Tracking install. They are very simple: 12V Constant, True Ignition, Ground and a couple antennas. So normally I'm not even concerned with wireing diagrams being they are simple and I can usually get these at the Ignition Harness with my volt meter.

The difference in this is they would like to add a Starter Kill. While I have not recieved a vehicle year yet I understand that the Mercedes Ignitions are Multiplex so I will need to find my connections at the Fuse Panel or under the hood. In addition to this they would like a "Covert" installation which means I will need a good placement for the Antennas under the dash but near the surface not covered by metal. In many cases I end of having to remove a good portion of the dash sometimes including the gauge cluster or radio.

This is already starting to sound like a Nightmare but Im usually up for a challenge. Is there anything I should or could know about removing pannels or wireing that would help me on this?

I would like honest opinions. If you think its not worth it. Say so.

Thanks

Fred Kincaid
Visions Sound & Security
GPS Northwest
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2008 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  

When I do parrot kits on the newer Benz vehicles (E and C class) I am able to catch all of my wiring right below the front driver side rocker panel, 12volts, true ignition, ground, speakers although they don't apply here.

As far as the antennas go, I would investigate the plastic shrouds near the wind shield wipers. Often there are flat surfaces below them and some flat bar can be utilized for a stealth install.

I however cannot comment on starter disrupt, I have yet to do any. 

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2008 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  
If it's a sedan, go to the trunk area. The battery should be there and that's your pos and neg. In the UK the right hand side has lots of other electrics and you will find an ignition lead (can't remember the colour, test in that section). While you have the inner trim out, pull the right hand light unit and mount the antennae GPS and Cell either in the light unit, it's plastic or inside the plastic bumper which is accessible when light unit is removed, also mount the unit behind the trim with velcro etc and use fabric covered tape to stealth it. The job will take 20mins apart from finding the ign. wire N.B. a Parrot kit takes me 20mins on an E type Mercedes go to the cig. lighter feed for acc and use an adaptor lead. N.B. All large sedans including BMW, Audi and TT, Chrysler 300 can all be done this way, it's so easy, no-one knows where you've been and you don't have to worry about metallic film window glass etc.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2008 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry, I didn't read it through ref starter kill. The only way to do this would be where the lead changes from data to 12volts which is the fuse box under the hood. It's likely to cause all sorts of issues with warning lights etc and you must diode the relay coil because on-rush will run straight back to the engine management and cook it AVOID DOING IT LIKE THE PLAGUE!!! (I think my spelling is wrong but I think you get my point). If you must cut, there should be a fuel pump relay in the rear (trunk area) you could cut the pos coil feed to this relay. A friend tells me that one his subordinates installed one on a Mercedes truck and didn't diode the relay, hence the warning.
visionsss 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2008 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  

I appreciate the help. I really like the trunk idea. I will keep this in mind for future reference.

Yeah, my main issue with this installation was the Starter Kill. I knew I couldn't relay the data wires at the ign so it would have to be under the hood but all that still seems like an iffy subject. I too was worried about warning or diagnostics issues. I've done fuel cut offs before but on a benz I didn't want to think about tracking that wire down.

Not that I couldn't do it but I have learned in all my experience some jobs just aren't worth the risk.

Fred Kincaid
Visions Sound & Security
GPS Northwest

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic