icon

1998 chrysler town and country

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nightowl2 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2008 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  
I could really use some help here. I am installing a 2-way remote start alarm (Autopage RS1000) on my dads 1998 Chrysler Town and Country. I can't seem to get the door locks(unlock and lock) and factory alarm to play nice. All 3 from the alarm module have to go to the same wire on the van. I have tried each by them self and the lock and unlock work but I can't get the factory disarm to work. I am going to use a relay for each but the factory disarm is really trying my patience. I am to use a 665 Ohm resistor and I have tried several combination to get as close to that as I can. I have even used one that is 680 Ohm but nothing works. I get the locks to unlock with the 680 Ohm resistor but the alarm does not disarm.  I don't know what else to try. Any suggestions? Can I disable the factory alarm??? I would do that over all else if at all possible.
nightowl2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2008 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  
I found  THIS (middle of the page about using a couple diodes) and I'm going to try it instead of the relays but I'm still lost with the factory alarm.
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2008 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  
What color wire are you using in the van for arm/disarm?
nightowl2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2008 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  
I'm using WHITE/ DK green. And I'm finding 250 Ohm isn't working for unlock...or was it lock??? I"m sure it was unlock. I think it calls for 1500 Ohm to lock, 250 Ohm to lock, and 665 Ohm to disarm. I used a 150 Ohm resistor and that works great. i guess it's ok to use that as long as it works right?
nightowl2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2008 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged  
This kinda stinks because this is the second alarm I have installed on this van. The first one worked ok but it was kinda funny from the start. It would have to be disarmed before you remote start or it would set itself off. In other words: if you would attempt to remote start without first disarming the aftermarket alarm the aftermarket alarm would think it was violated. It would sound the alarm as if someone opened the door. I never had a problem with the factory alarm after intallation with that one though. That alarm module shorted out after 2 years of use. I found the spot on the board where the damage was and I guess it could be fixed but I ain't messing with it. I tried to find the question that I had post 2 years ago but I couldn't. Is there a way to find older posts? I thought I asked this question then. Oh well.
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2008 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  
for vehicles with factory alarm:
Use relays and set up for negative trigger. Place a 4020 ohm resistor inline on the lock output, and a 665 ohm resistor inline on the unlock output.
Have the UNLOCK and DISARM output trigger the relay with the 665 ohm resistor
Have the LOCK and REARM output trigger the relay with the 4020 ohm resistor
nightowl2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2008 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, I used the relays and the value of resistors that was on the wiring diagram. It not locks/arms and unlocks/disarms properly. Thanks for the advice JWorm. Now, all that's left is to get the door trigger to work. I thought I had the correct wire with the BROWN / White wire at the connector under the fuse box. This wire is in the right plug. I'm going to double check and see if maybe the coloring is faded or the wire is dirty making it look like the correct wire. All is working except the door trigger...well I haven't finished programming it yet so I haven't tested remote start yet...

nightowl2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2008 at 6:54 PM / IP Logged  
I thought this would the easiest install since I already have one installed. All I had to do was replace the wires. Everything was easy except the resistors and this wire. I"m not sure what I did to get the old alarm to work but there is not a BROWN / white wire. I only see a BLACK/ white...
nightowl2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2008 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  
I found a note in my file that I wrote when I installed the old alarm. It said I found the wire I was looking for above the BCM. I'll look there and see what I find. I also wrote down that I posted this in the other post that I tried to find earlier. That post is over 2 years old and I couldn't find it. Do posts get deleted after a time?
nightowl2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2008 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, that was the wire. I was confusing the fuse box with the BCM when the BCM is actually above the fuse box. Rookie mistake...1998 chrysler town and country -- posted image.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic