icon

2005 honda element problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2008 at 10:02 AM / IP Logged  
Gonna play devil's advocate, because, well, I am an donut hole.
- You bought your system online, and probably got the lowest possible price on it, correct?
- I am certain there are many DEI dealers in the greater Houston area. I am also going to imagine you shopped around to get the lowest price on that as well
- Then, after paying the lowest possible price, you bitch and whine
You get what you pay for......
Now, as to the internal sensor of the 5701 not being adustable. that is incorrect. It is, in fact, the very same doubleguard sensor that DEI has always used. The adjustment procedure for the internal sensor is located on page 14 of your owners manual...... it is user adjustable, and very very easy to do. And it will cover the entire vehicle adequately.
I would bet that if you got off your wallet, and went to a decent DEI dealer, paid good money (If you came into my shop wanting that pile of gear installed, you would be looking at least a $600 bill, plus shop supplies), you wouldn't have an issue at all.
Oh, and you have about 3 too many sensors there. Impact, tilt, proximity, good. If they are close enough to break the glass, they will set off the proximity. If they are jacking up the vehicle, then proximity and tilt.
But, you probably got a great deal on the install, right?
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2008 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  

gus1 wrote:
- You bought your system online, and probably got the lowest possible price on it, correct?
- I am certain there are many DEI dealers in the greater Houston area. I am also going to imagine you shopped around to get the lowest price on that as well

I could understand  your comment if the guy was having the install done in a back alley somewhere....but obviously he was concerned about keeping the warranty, that is why he went to an authorized DEI installer. And of course he gonna price the install around. Who pays the first price that is giving to you on anything. The only thing that would of concerned me is if there was a drastic price difference between two different shops install prices. Researching the reputation of the shop could of helped avoid this problem...but who knows. Hopefully DEI will step up and help solve the problem.

JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2008 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged  
The guy bought the product online, and had it installed at an "authorized" dealer. Do you think that dealer is going to warranty the product? I wouldn't. If something went wrong with the product, I would charge him to remove the product, then charge him to reinstall the product. I never made money on the product, why would I warranty it? As far as I'm concerned and DEI is concerned...he has no warranty on the product.
I agree with everything gus1 said. If someone came into my shop with that pile of gear, I would have asked for at least $600 labor, and told him to pick it up in 48 hours. That is a lot of wiring to do, and a lot of sensors to mount and adjust. The guy has 5 sirens...you need to wire it so not all 5 are wired off the backup battery, or it will drain too quickly. You have to worry about isolating 5 different sensors (way too many by the way). This system is a lot of work, and should only be attempted by a very qualified installer. Why this guy thought the internal shock sensor is not adjustable is beyond me. If he bought it at a qualified shop they would have explained that.
mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2008 at 11:38 AM / IP Logged  

I completely agree with the no warranty on the product if he did not by it from an authorized dealer....and with R&R if there is a problem with the product, but at this point it sounds like a crappy install done by a crappy DEI authorized installer/dealer and not faulty product. He definately has a right to have the thing installed correctly no matter what he payed. Obviously, the shop was pretty clueless....as already mentioned, by agreeing to install that many sensors, but If the shop can't handle this kind of install or give recommendations on what not to do .....then DEI needs to cut them off.

gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2008 at 12:09 AM / IP Logged  
mikvot wrote:

gus1 wrote:

I could understand your comment if the guy was having the install done in a back alley somewhere....but obviously he was concerned about keeping the warranty, that is why he went to an authorized DEI installer. And of course he gonna price the install around. Who pays the first price that is giving to you on anything. The only thing that would of concerned me is if there was a drastic price difference between two different shops install prices. Researching the reputation of the shop could of helped avoid this problem...but who knows. Hopefully DEI will step up and help solve the problem.

Ahh, true enough. But, that is a lot of gear, would you take it to the lowest bidder? I sure as hell wouldn't. I would probably go with the higher priced install, as generally you do get what you pay for. We deal with this type of pricing issue a lot up here. 99.9% of the time, the customer that bottom lines the install is going to be the biggest pain in the ass customer you will have to deal with. They expect the most for the least they are willing to pay, period. That type of customer will also get burned a few times by getting a better deal, and in the long run they will end up being a better customer to you, the more expensive and professional shop.
I for one am probably going to go to the $75/hr shop long before the $45/hr shop. If they are charging it, they are probably worth it.....
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic