icon

relay + wire = immobilizer bypass?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
basketthis69 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2008 at 10:02 AM / IP Logged  
Okay. I hope to hell that this isn't a repost. I don't want my first post to be my worst. relay + wire = immobilizer bypass? -- posted image. I tried searching and couldn't find anything on it. Couldn't even find anything on google. I did find a diagram for it from my own resources, but it doesn't work. Until I install the manufactured one from DEI (556u) the vehicle will not remote start.
**Disclaimer**
Not to offend anyone, but I hate it when people have a smart remark for everything. Not directed towards anyone in particular, just asking that this be kept to a minimum on this thread because I know how forums can be sometimes. I have been installing for MANY years and have not had any problems with figuring out relays before. It's not that I need someone to teach me anything, I am just looking for a diagram/help and maybe good ol' installer conversation. If you don't want to help or if you are trying to "teach me a lesson" please just keep to yourself...
I'm not sure if I'm searching the wrong words when looking for this but, I remember a couple of years back when I was new to the car electronics game, my supervisor at the time would build a generic immobilizer bypass out of a relay and some wire. Now, I have attempted this myself and can't seem to figure out the wiring for it...
I remember he would strip about a foot or so of insulation off of a 16-18ga. wire and coil it around the chipped key itself. Then, he would wrap the same amount around the ignition switch itself and then have constant, ground, and an activation wire from the remote start itself to trigger it. I've done all of these to what I think would work, but I don't think it's either reading the code or sending the code. Or, maybe it's not doing either. Any help is appreciated. I would like to figure out how to do this...
I am posting the diagram of the one that I have tried many many times to no success.
relay + wire = immobilizer bypass? -- posted image.
Installer for life.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 16, 2008 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  

What kind of a vehicle are we dealing with?   If you strip the insulation off of the wire, it will probably not work.  If the insulation is removed, it will simply be grounded out at the key cylinder. Radio Shack sells some enamel coated wire that will probably work for you.   http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productid=2036277&cp=&sr=1&origkw=wire&kw=wire&parentPage=search  I would use the larger of the wires.  The insulation will have to be removed only where you need to make a connection.  It will melt off with contact to a soldering iron.

We have in the past attached the transponder key to the bottom side of the key cylinder.  Of course the vehicle will now start with a generic key blank.

techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2008 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  
That diagram is pretty much how I do it with no problems. You need skinny wire for the wrap, 18 awg or thinner like 20 awg.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
i am an idiot 
Posted: June 16, 2008 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  
Techman,  do you strip the insulation off of the wire?   I would think that you do not.  I think that is his problem.
basketthis69 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2008 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  
okay. For some reason, I just remember the guy stripping a hell of alot of insulation off. I'll have to try with the insulation... Thanks guys. I'll let you know if I'm able to get this to work. relay + wire = immobilizer bypass? -- posted image.
Installer for life.
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2008 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
I leave the insulation on. I know some of them come with a spiral plastic with exposed wire inside but if you wrap it yourself, I advise against stripping wire because it may weaken signal with contact to cylinder metal.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
i am an idiot 
Posted: June 17, 2008 at 12:35 AM / IP Logged  
The wire inside of the spiral insulation is magnet wire like in the radio shack link I posted earlier. There is an enamel coating on the wire that insulates it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic