icon

sebring ground noise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sstrawsb 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2008 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  

I hate to do this but I need help. I cant get rid of this ground noise in a customers car. His setups goes as follows:

Pioneer 5000 HU

Rockford 400.4

Alpine 500.1 (not positive on model)

Rockford 1F Cap

My other installer looked over it and said it was the amp.. I have my doubts. We replaced RCAs, Radio, the rcas are ran opposite of power, each amp is grounded seperately. I just remember where they grounded the amps to on a bracket that was welded to the floor. If the amp doesnt fix it then im moving the grounds.

Anything else I should look for. I did not meter the resistance on the ground wire yet.

Help! Thanks

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 19, 2008 at 7:25 PM / IP Logged  
sstrawsb 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2008 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  
urgh. This car has been the biggest headache. I still get the noise with the RCAs unplugged from the amps. Ive tried grounding the RCA sheilding also. We swapped the RF 4CH for a Alpine MRP-F600 which got rid of a decent amount of noise but still have some faint noise with the car running. Any ideas?
i am an idiot 
Posted: June 30, 2008 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  
Do you have a power capacitor laying around? If so try connecting it at the amp.
sstrawsb 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2008 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  
theres a cheap 1fd RF cap already in there. the noise is so faint but its there when the music is all the way down. Also i didnt notice it at first but when the door is opened and the dome light turns on you can hear the whine follow the pattern of the light powering on or off.
i am an idiot 
Posted: June 30, 2008 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged  
Try turning the gains down on the amp(s) until the noise goes away.  Then turn the volume up on the radio to see if you can still reach the desired listening level.
sstrawsb 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2008 at 5:05 PM / IP Logged  

nothing. I had the amp gains almost all the way down and it didnt fix it....

sstrawsb 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2008 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  
anyone? would rewiring the speakers help at all? Also most of the noise is coming from the driver rear speaker if that helps at all.
i am an idiot 
Posted: June 30, 2008 at 6:10 PM / IP Logged  
Switch the RCA jacks at the amp, put the left cable into the right input, and vice versa.  If the problem moves to the other speaker there is a problem in the deck or the RCA cable.  If the problem stays on the same speaker, the amp or the speaker or the wiring between the amp and speaker is picking the noise up somehow.
i am an idiot 
Posted: June 30, 2008 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  
If the noise moves to the other speaker when you switched the cables, put the cables back to their original locations.  Now at the radio, do the same thing that you did at the amp.  Now if the noise moves, the radio is the cause of your troubles.  If the same speaker has the noise, your RCA cables are picking the noise up.  I know that the others are going to tell you to make sure your RCA cables are not run close to your power wiring for your amp.  I have never seen this cause a problem.  But if you determine that the noice is entering the system via the cables, you will need to remove the trim that was lifted to run the cable.  Move the cable into the vehicle a few inches, close the vehicle, start the engine and listen for the noise.  Try moving it back a little at a time and see if you can figure out what makes it worse.  I have seen fuel pump wiring cause this issue.  The reason that the fuel pump can make this noise and your amp power wire does not, is the fact that the fuel pump pulses, thus causing an AC type signal which can be induced into wires in close proximity. 
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic