Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2008 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  
As the title says, I'm stuck between the following
qty   type
2     12w6v2
1     13w6v2
1     12w7
1     13w7
I currently have 2 Infinity 12.1D subs. I do not want to lose SPL but I want to gain sq. I do know that the w6 have better sq but I'm thinking that the 13w6 isn't any louder than my current subs, but 2 12w6v2 should be louder and have better sq.
I have only heard the w7 once and I HATED it. Yes it was extremely loud but the sq went to crap at loud volumes. All it did was mash together all the notes and it was just a ton of crappy bass. I don't know if the guy had a crappy setup or if that is how the sub really is.
I have always liked the look of two subs instead of one. I am willing to build an enclosure up to 2.5 cu ft. I will be building a sealed enclosure since it is better for sq. From what the jl site says 2 12w6 would need 2.5 cu ft. and a w7 will need 1.8 cu ft so that is fine.
According to the JL site the 13w6 moves 69% more air than the 12w6 and the 13w7 moves 39% more air than the 12w7. Yes 69% is a lot but it isn't 100% so it isn't as good as 2 12w6. Also given my setup below it seems like it would be stupid to have that powerful of an amp and only go with one sub.
As for my setup, here it is...
-Kicker 1/0 gauge wiring. 4 ga is going to the amp.
-Rockford Fosgate t10001bd. According to birth sheet it is 1400W @ 1 ohm, so more than enough power for all these subs. The only thing I don't like about the w7 is the weird impedance. Why would they choose 3 ohms!?
Also for the enclosure I plan to us 3/4" MDF for the whole thing except the back. I plan to use 1/2" polycarbonate (lexan NOT plexi) for the back. Is this a bad idea? I am OK with bracing it if I need to. It isn't that big of a deal to have the polycarbonate but I would like to have it. Also the amps will be where my spare tire is currently. With this new setup I would be unable to access my spare tire anyways so I figured why keep it in there. Ill just free up some space and make the install nice and clean.
swargy 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2008 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  
Also forgot to say I have a pioneer DEH-7800mp deck. I believe it has 5v preouts. And Stinger Dream Series interconnects.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 22, 2008 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  

The W7 you heard had to have been set up incorrectly.  Either the amplifier was set up wrong causing the signal to clip early, the enclosure was wrong, or the sub was being overdriven.  Because the W7 is one of the best SQ subs on the market.  I would definitely take it over a pair of W6's any day (although the W6 is a very nice sub too). 

That amp has a lot of power so whatever setup you choose, be very careful on setting the gains and turn it down if you hear any distortion.  This is especially true since your head unit has high voltage pre-outs.  And just because your amp makes a ton of power at low impedances, there is no reason to choose the subs just based on trying to load it down to get that power.  You always want to match the amp to the subs, not the other way around.

swargy 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2008 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  
I was hoping you could tell me why you would take the w7 over a pair of w6s.
I have only heard from one other person and they said that the sq is about equal between 1 w7 and 2 w6.   
Also I currently have that amp at 1/4 gain and it is too much for my current subs! Like I always do, when I get my new sub whatever it might be, I will start the gain out pretty low and work my way up.
Also with the W7 if I wire it in series I will be running 3 ohms and only about 800W into the sub. If I wire it in parallel it won't match the amp so I am unable to do that. Wouldn't 800W into a w7 be worse than 1400W into 2 w6? Especially since the w7 can handle up to 1500W safely.
Also... If I do decide to go with the w7 would the 13" be worth the extra money?
theterminator 
Copper - Posts: 96
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2008 at 1:01 AM / IP Logged  
Check out TC Sounds/Audiopulse. Tremendous SQ and good spl. Just remember your system is only as good as its weakest link.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 23, 2008 at 1:38 AM / IP Logged  

swargy wrote:
I was hoping you could tell me why you would take the w7 over a pair of w6s.

I like the sound of it better than the W6's.  The shop I work at is a JL dealer so I've heard quite a few systems using both subs.  The W7 uses a specialized overhung motor topology that keeps BL consistent over excursion thereby lowering distortion (primarily 3rd order). 

swargy wrote:

Also I currently have that amp at 1/4 gain and it is too much for my current subs! Like I always do, when I get my new sub whatever it might be, I will start the gain out pretty low and work my way up.

Then you are setting your gains incorrectly.  It doesn't matter where on the dial the gain is set just as long as it is set correctly for the input level. 

swargy wrote:
  Also with the W7 if I wire it in series I will be running 3 ohms and only about 800W into the sub. If I wire it in parallel it won't match the amp so I am unable to do that. Wouldn't 800W into a w7 be worse than 1400W into 2 w6? Especially since the w7 can handle up to 1500W safely. 

Why would that be worse?  Thermally the W7 can probably handle 1500 watts safely.  But the enclosure used will determine the mechanical power handling of the sub. 

swargy wrote:
  Also... If I do decide to go with the w7 would the 13" be worth the extra money?

That depends.  The nice thing about the W7 is that they use proprietary motors for the different sizes.  This means that each size is engineered to perform within their intended parameters with fewer compromises.  The 13 will be a little louder and have a shallower roll-off down low.  However the compromise is it requires a larger enclosure.   

swargy 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2008 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  
So I decided to go with 2 12w6v2 subs. I plan to buy them online this friday so I hope to have the boxes built and subs installed on saturday the 5th. I'll let you guys know how I like them.
I decided the w6 because it seems stupid to buy a w7 and run it at 800W if I could run each of the w6 at 700W. I have come to the conclusion that the w7 is all around better than the w6 (if properly enclosed) but in my opinion it isn't worth buying the w7 since the sq increase in minimal and at these powers the spl would probably decrease.
Isn't it a gain in volume takes either a gain in air displacement and/or power. Well the air displacement between 1 13w7 and 2 12w6 are almost equal and the power on the w6s will be more than on the w7 thus increase in volume.
Thanks for everyones help.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2008 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  

swargy wrote:
I have come to the conclusion that the w7 is all around better than the w6 (if properly enclosed) but in my opinion it isn't worth buying the w7 since the sq increase in minimal and at these powers the spl would probably decrease

Good conclusion. . . !

I had a 13w6 and replaced it with a pair of 12w3's - much, much happier. 

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2008 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  
Find a authorized dealer for your JL purchase.....there is nothing like getting the shaft from a e-tailer with no warranty support from JL Audio as they do not authorize any dealer to sell online. Penny saved, pound foolish.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 24, 2008 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  
I thought Crutchfield is an authorized online dealer
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic