icon

audiophile cd deck?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stereophile33 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2008 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  
Years ago I had Nakamichi tape decks in my cars, they were not filled with crazy features, they just played tapes, well.
Then i got into Eclipse CD decks, very similar.
But years have gone by and I am looking for a CD deck that has an iPod hook up.
I want as basic a deck as possible that has an iPod hook up and CD player.
It would be nice if the face had as few buttons as possible.
I just want it to be as clean a deck as possible. Anyone have any suggestions for a great sounding audiophile deck.
Current system.
Eclipse Deck
PPI PC2150
Hertz 6.5"
PPI 2300
Hertz 10" sealed sub
BobyYoo 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2008 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  

if you're an audiophile, i dont think you would use an ipod.

cd is still the best sounding, and yes nakamichi and eclipse are good unit

boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2008 at 9:01 AM / IP Logged  

IMHO FOR THE MONEY the pioneer DEH-880PRS or the new 800 PRS cant be beat.......A Three way Active H/U ........with T/A ..........16 bands of EQ for the left channel..........16 bands of EQ for the right channel...........phase adjusments for each channel..level adjusments for each channel.......high, mid, and low crossovers........different slopes, and crossover points.....alot of features for the audiophile.................. I love mine..........again FOR THE MONEY IT CANT BE BEAT.                       what price range are you in and what features do you need  

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2008 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged  

Pioneer is not an audiophile-level deck.  No way, no how.  Eclipse or the high-end Alpines are about your only choices these days since McIntosh no longer makes car audio and Nakamichi and Denon are no longer sold in N. America.  I use an Alpine DVA-9860 and have been very pleased with its 24bit DAC sound quality.  I am sure there are models with iPod connectivity.

Support the12volt.com
megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2008 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  

I would agree that the higher end Alpine's or the Eclipse units are your best bet.  You can probably find some Nakamichi decks online but there are no distributors in the US.

I use the Eclipse CD7200MkII, which is a line-level only headunit.  No built in power.  Twin Delta-sigma 24bit D/A convertors and a copper plated chassis.  Excellent unit for sound quality.  The display is a little lack luster IMHO, but the performance is top notch.

If you need built in power, then step down to the CD3200.  Same display, no copper plated chassis, but still has the same D/A convertors as the 7200.

tschicky 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2008 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  

I would have to agree with megaman on his deck choice.

Eclipse's new decks for the year are all IPOD compatible and have great dacs in them.  If you are looking for audiophile that is a huge consideration as I am sure you know. 

Good luck.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2008 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  

I also agree that the CD7200ii is a great bet for a solid headunit.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 03, 2008 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:

Pioneer is not an audiophile-level deck.  No way, no how.  Eclipse or the high-end Alpines are about your only choices these days since McIntosh no longer makes car audio and Nakamichi and Denon are no longer sold in N. America.  I use an Alpine DVA-9860 and have been very pleased with its 24bit DAC sound quality.  I am sure there are models with iPod connectivity.

The Pioneer option he mentioned is probably one of their better offerings.  It uses 24 bit DAC's, has a copper chassis, and has a 100 ohm preamp output.  I got to play with the processing on it a while back and was pretty impressed.  I wish they had left out the internal amplifier and kept it pre-amp only.  I've been trying to find a new deck to replace my C90 and this is one I've been considering.  I was planning on going with Eclipse, but I just can't stand the new joystick knob they switched to.   

boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2008 at 8:12 AM / IP Logged  
 Stephen the 800 and 880 are both good considerations, on the 880 the internal amplifier can be turned off , another good option-for a lot  more money would be the clarion-DRZ9255 , 
theterminator 
Copper - Posts: 96
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2008 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  
how about the Alpine CDA-9887 with imprint.?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic