icon

speakers and sub shutting off

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
eaks 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2008 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  
hey guys.. im running into some huge issues with my stereo!
What im running..
MTX thunder amp (think its like 300watt rms)
infinity 6.5s in my doors (running off the mtx amp)
stock tweeters and stock 6x9s in the rear (running off deck)
deck is an alpine ida-x001
pioneer class D mono block amp (600watt rms)
kicker L7 12"
---------------------------------------------------
Issue: Everything was running fine for awhile after i installed my new pioneer in my trunk to replace my failed kenwood amp! I then installed new racing seats in my car (the mtx amp is located under my driver seat).. Everything worked fine for a few days.. Then i would have my speakers and sub shutoff at random times and then just fire back up.. i checked all wiring in my car and everything and it was all good..
Then yesterday i noticed it shutting down (speakers and sub) for longer periods of time and it wouldn't come back on for some time.. then today i start up my car and all i have is my tweeters and 6x9s.. drove for awhile and a couple times my speakers and sub would kick on for a second (long enough for one good hit) then shut down.. i went directly home.. and looked over everything.. my 25amp fuse was blown (and actually kinda melted) in my mtx amp.. the 2 40amp fuses in my pioneer amp were both good.. checked my fuse under the hood and it was fine.. then i checked at the back of my deck and the remote wires were both connected and still soldered together fine.. I now checked the voltage at my amps and both have 12 volts at the terminals and with the stereo on the remote wire is showing .2 volts (which is correct if i remember correctly).. i replaced my mtx amp with a 30amp fuse i had laying around (just to test) and nothing would work..
Im going to pickup a bunch of 25 amp fuses tonight hopefully and then check everything again tomorrow but i dont see where the issue can be.. and i checked all wires for frays and stuff and they are still all fine (under the drivers seat)..
Does anyone have any ideas?
And theres not really any stereo guys i know about around here as most people come to me for help/installs..
Thanks
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 07, 2008 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  

Where were you measuring voltage at?  Directly at the amp?

I would guess that your amp is grounded to your seat and not making a solid connection.  That is where I would start.

And your remote wire shouldn't read 0.2vdc - it should read 12vdc whenever the radio is on.

Kevin Pierson
eaks 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2008 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  
Hey man! Ya I was measuring directly at the amp! And since I was getting 12 volts there I'm sure my ground is good! Although will check later! And the remote should read 12 volts with the deck on? That's gotta be my problem then! Ill check my remote from the deck and my power antenna as well!
But the remote wire should show the same reading as the possitive teminal on the amp?
Also: just checked and both my remote and my power antenna wires from my deck give me 0.2 volts when the stereo is on! So what's happening here?
joch1314 
Copper - Posts: 301
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2008 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  

yeah.....   0.2 volts is not what it should be putting out!  How close together are the ground and remote wires on your amp!  if even a tiny (one)strand of the ground wire touches the remote wire terminal then more than likely it will shut off that circuit, but the radio will continue to play! 

Disconnect the remote wire from both amps and test the voltage when it's not hooked up to the amps!  make sure you reset the radio as well.  Also, check ALL of your remote wire....you said you changed the seat and that your mtx amp is under the seat..you might have pinched the wire when you bolted the new seat in.  Makes sense to me, as that is the only amp with blown fuses....that would also be the reason that your pioneer amp is not working, (i'm assuming that you just jumped the remote wire to both amps!)

...half of the truth can be worse than a lie. <----Roger Russell said that..
eaks 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2008 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  
Hey man! Just did that and it fixed it! That is till I drove then the exact same thing happend!
joch1314 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2008 at 12:17 PM / IP Logged  

What exactly did you do, and what happened when you tested the voltage on the remote wire after you disconnected it from the amps! 

Try this.....see if it cuts out when you only hook the remote to your pioneer amp!

then try it with your mtx amp!  i'm thinking it'll cut out when your mtx amp is hooked up and not when your pioneer amp is hooked up!   if that's the case then i'm thinking that something fried on your mtx amp!  don't forget to test the voltage before and if and when it cuts out....test it again!

eaks 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2008 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  
Just got home from work! Need to run and have a shower and then work on the car! I was acutally gonna test that tonight!
eaks 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2008 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged  
ok guys.. well heres something weird.. i reset my deck and hooked up only my pioneer amp and then it was thumping pretty good.. then i drove down the road and bam it died again!! So now im like wth.. and then i get to futureshop (where i was gonna check out the warrenty on my mtx amp) and i start playing with everything.. and i cannot get 12V at my remote wire anymore.. have my fuses pulled from the possitive wires, and have teh remote wires removed from the amps and reset the deck numerous times and still nothing.. i get anywhere from 0.1v-0.6v at the remote wire..
any ideas? im gonna go out and try it a few more times right now!
joch1314 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2008 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged  

now it sounds like something with the remote output on the deck!  something has to be causing your remote wire to turn off.  i'm kind of out of ideas....only other thing i can think of now...is to run a completely new remote wire. 

you may even have to relegate to maybe taggin into an accessory wire or ignition wire and see what that does!  MAKE SURE YOU FUSE IT!  1 AMP/3 AMP SHOULD DO!

Anybody else have any ideas!!

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2008 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  

Wow!  You guys like using exclamation points!! speakers and sub shutting off -- posted image.

Sounds like your head unit may be defective.  Get it checked out.

Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic