icon

97 laredo, battery keeps dieing

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lakewood777 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2008 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  

I just bought a 97 Cherokee Laredo.  I put Alpine 6 1/2s in the front doors, and Rockford 6 1/2s  in the back doors.  I definitly wired them properly positive/negative  checked and double checked.  now i dont know if its related to that because i just bought the car so it coulda already been somthin, but my battery keeps dieing like somthing is draining it while its off.  When i jump it it holds charge perfectly fine so i ruled out any alternator problems.  do you think that one of the speakers jus isnt grounding properly? or could it be another electrical problem, or jus the battery? like i said the battery holds perfect charge once it is started.  Any suggestions on how i can figure this out.  I do have a voltage tester too if that can be to any use to me. 

Thanks

lspker 
Silver - Posts: 503
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2008 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  
Speaker wire are not directly connected to power, so they should not be causing the problem.  But if you like most customers take a volt meter, ground one end and check for power at speaker, car off.  You should read nothing.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 21, 2008 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  
There is no way a grounded speaker alone can cause the problems you are having.  If there is no aftermarket amplifier that is staying on when the key is off, chances are you have a bad battery.  AutoZone will test it for you for free.
lakewood777 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2008 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  
yea thats my next step is to go to autozone.  the guy i bought it from said if its the battery he'll replace it for free,  i jus wanted to make sure that it definitly wouldnt be from the door the speakers i put in before i tell the guy he sold me suttin wit problems an then take it to him an come to find out i caused it ya know...
lakewood777 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2008 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
it looks like my batterys negative runs to chasis and my engine is grounded to my battery.  i was also wonderin about that because i was under the impression that the engine should be grounded to the chasis as well.  i jus wanna get all my electrical straight before i install my amps.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic