led's under dash, seat, come on with door

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
no_joke_chevy 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2008 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  

what up 12 volt

i have some i deas i want to work out but am not 100% sure how to pull it off or if its even possible. what i want to do is put a couple leds by under my dash and under the front seat but i want them to light when the door opens etc...if the drivers door opens the light under the dash light  and if the rear door opens then the one under the seats light...and if possible have a switch to light them all up. and if anyone knows of a good site to get any of the supplies i need feel free to tell thanks in advance. oh yeah one more thing  a diagram with fuses or how to wire it up will be real helpfull

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 24, 2008 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  
You will need to diode isolate the door pins (depending on car) and run each set of LEDs directly off the corresponding door pin.  With more diodes you can install a "master" switch that will turn them all on.
Kevin Pierson
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Posted: July 24, 2008 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  

I am only guessing here, but since you came to the12volt.com to ask your question,  I can only assume that you will need a little help with the diode isolating thing.  We can help you with that but we need to know the make and model of your chevy. 

no_joke_chevy 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2008 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:

I am only guessing here, but since you came to the12volt.com to ask your question,  I can only assume that you will need a little help with the diode isolating thing.  We can help you with that but we need to know the make and model of your chevy. 

yeah i do need a lil help with that,  a diagram would help and what about a fuse. 96 chevy caprice thanx

i am an idiot 
Posted: July 25, 2008 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  
You will need to get to the back of each pin switch in each door jamb.  On the front doors, you should be able to see the back side of the switch if you remove the kick panel.  There should be a white wire on each of the pinswitches.  Well at least the wire was white 20 years ago.  You will have to investigate and tell me what you see.  If the wire is white continue on with these instructions.  You will need to cut that wire several inches from the connector on the switch.  First you will need to go to RadioShack and purchase 4 diodes.  276-1653 is the part number for a 25 pack of suitable diodes.  With the wire cut you now have 2 ends.  The end that is still attached to the pinswitch needs to be connected to the banded end of the diode.  Connect the other end of the diode to the available wire.   You will need to connect the wire that grounds your LED to the same point that the diode is connected to the pinswitch wire.  Power the LEDs via a 1 amp fuse and you are set.  A picture will follow shortly.
i am an idiot 
Posted: July 25, 2008 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  

I have lost my button to upload an image.  Will try it tomorrow

xchrisx 
Copper - Posts: 197
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2008 at 6:40 PM / IP Logged  
how would I do this on an 03 chevy Malibu and a 1996 mitsubishi eclipse? thanks a lot.
bp
airseeker1111 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2008 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  
here is the best interpretation that I can give you, this picture is for if you have a negative door trigger. If you have postive door triggers, then all you need to do reverse the polarity of everything. make sure that the stripes on the diodes are going away from the door pin.led's under dash, seat, come on with door -- posted image.
Taylor
xchrisx 
Copper - Posts: 197
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2008 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  
thanks, that helped a lot.
bp
snowsoldier 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2008 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  
would this be just as simple for a 98 regular cab chev pick up?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic