interested in classifying brands.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
greektek 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2008 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged  
Hello all.
I am looking to compile a list of car audio, and somewhat classify them into a system of quality and price.
IE. Flea market stuff. decent quality, good quality, high end, etc.
Anyone have a list like this available, or want to help compile one?
for example. i think Jensen is decent quality, for what you pay for and get it isnt horrible. there is better of course, and worse, but it has a following and it isnt horrible stuff.
I would consider maybe Infinity reference to be decent/good quality.
Focal/mb quarts etc as good quality/high end.
Any help insight, or links would be appreciated.
thanks
Louie
megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2008 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  

Ask 10 audio enthusiasts and you're gonna get 10 different answers.

IMHO jensen would be a flea market brand.  Maybe just above Rampage.

greektek 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2008 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  
hmm...
maybe i should clarify my intentions for this list.
I currently own a window tinting, alarm, remote start shop. and i am going to get into Car audio. I have been around car audio for a long time, and i have all of my own opinions but i stay open minded and am always looking for and taking in the opinions of others for consideration.
For my Audio line up, i would like to appeal to the masses, yet still stay with a high end fan base.
I want to have a Good/Better/Best setup in just about every category.
Jensen, although it isnt the greatest quality, it has a hell of a following and is a great starting point for many of the younger generation "enthusiasts" i would consider this to be my "good" line of mainly fold out screens. Inexpensive and easy for the younger crowd to purchase.
Maybe even offer a head unit of theirs, and possibly some speakers or an amp or two for the really really budget minded person.
Then i would like a good brand run of the mill company for the bulk of HU sales. something along the lines of Alpine/kenwood/panasonic/jvc/clarion/eclipse
then to round out the HU selection some Pioneer Premiere or something along those lines.
Interior speakers Again, maybe jensen for a real low price point. Infinity reference/alpine/polk/ etc for a mid level.
and MB quart/focal/ etc to round it out.
Amps/subs
keep MTX/alpine/etc as the middle of the road bang for buck.
And something comparable to JL audio as the attention grabber(although i am too near to a JL audio dealer to get JL)
So basically i hope that clears a couple of things up and can hopefully grant me a little bit of outside source insight
thanks
megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2008 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  

I know exactly what you're after.  We went through the same thing with our company when they added audio.

You're on the right track with Jensen as an entry level unit.  Kinda hard to pick an entry level product as they all seem to have their problems.  Around here, Dual is the brand of choice for entry level.

Your brand pics are spot on for my own opinion.  The key to our success, is we chose brands we were comfortable with, popular around these parts, and unique brands no one else carries.  For example, Rockford Fosgate is a great brand to carry, but when every tom, dick, and harry sells the brand, it becomes a price war, and your margin takes a dive. 

You'll have to look around at the stores to see what they are carrying, and with some intuitive questioning, you'll find out what brands are selling.  I would recommend that you stick with distributors when purchasing your product for a while.  You'll be in a better position to gauge what products are selling for you, and you won't be 'tied' to a particular brand that's not doing so hot.  You will quickly see what brands are hot in your area, or what brands your sales staff can sell, then focus on that product brand.   We had a shop close by that killed themselves because they went direct with Panasonic for their head-units.  They are great products but they aren't popular around here, so they got killed in the head-unit market.  When it came time for the new models to roll out, they were still locked into a ton of last-year's models.

Also, don't fall into the "Million Brand Store" syndrome.  Stick with a select few brands to give the customers options, but too many options creates too low of inventory levels and your sales staff will be overwhelmed. 

advanced_audio 
Copper - Posts: 170
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2008 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  
I think you should also consider the location of the shop. Like if the shop is in a richer location you could offer more expensive products. My picks for high end would be, Eclipse, JL Audio, Morel, Focal, some Alpine, Audison just to name a few.
greektek 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2008 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  
I appreciate the response man.
It sucks to say, but JL kills it around here. i wish i could have gotten them, but it is what it is.
Jensen is BY FAR and away the most popular "entry level" head unit. see them everywhere in my neck of the woods, it is the one choice i feel like i definitely have locked in.
I am a large seller of audiovox product now so Jensen will go straight through to them.
I have been on the phone all day with MB Quart, Focal, Kenwood, Rockford, Pioneer, Infinity, JL, Audiovox, etc.
again, i dont want it to be overwhelming at all. i was the entry level. the mid level, and the high. i just want the smartest decision in each selective category, and i question if that will be a problem.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2008 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  
I understand that from a retail standpoint you have to carry crap brands like Dual and Audiovox (Jensen/Prestige/SPS/Phase Linear'/Rampage.)  But man, I could never recommend anyone actually buy any of those.  I guess that's why I was never a very good salesman.  interested in classifying brands. -- posted image.
Support the12volt.com
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2008 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  

For your lower and mid-level, i'd use brands that are popular but not very well known. Powerbass and Sundown come immediately to mind. Then, have the above listed brands for the higher-level stuff.

This way people are still attracted to it be the higher-end stuff (cause they know the names), and you can still give people deals on the not so well known stuff.

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
greektek 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2008 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  
advanced_audio wrote:
I think you should also consider the location of the shop. Like if the shop is in a richer location you could offer more expensive products. My picks for high end would be, Eclipse, JL Audio, Morel, Focal, some Alpine, Audison just to name a few.
In my location i am in probably one of the most wealthy areas, household income average of about 60k.
that being said it isnt that High. it is still average, still a lot of kids just looking for a "system"
there is a local shop that does well with JL about 10 miles away in a slightly more run down area, and a shop within a mile of me(that i almost bought out) but they are brand new, and dont even offer any low to mid lvl items. i completely disagree with that philosophy right now. they do sell audison there, problem is the dont sell anything less expensive. meh. i dont konw.
i have a successful business already just on window tinting and alarms and remote starts, Car audio will be the perfect accent to that and offer increased sales and traffic. i am very interested in getting into it, but i want it to be the right way. i have the funds to invest. and i am trying to keep an open mind and take opnions from others.
Thanks for the help guys!
a demon that i am currently having within myself is whether or not it will be a hindrance to mix and match interior speakers of one brand with amp/sub of another, etc.
in your experiences will customers generally shy away from that?
i know that i personally would like to get the best "system"
greektek 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2008 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
I understand that from a retail standpoint you have to carry crap brands like Dual and Audiovox (Jensen/Prestige/SPS/Phase Linear'/Rampage.) But man, I could never recommend anyone actually buy any of those. I guess that's why I was never a very good salesman. interested in classifying brands. -- posted image.
I will offer my opinion on what you are saying here.
and that is. i completely understand what you are saying. however.
I loved Viper. my dad owned a shop and he sold Viper, i grew up a Viper fan.
I HATED prestige products.
now i look at other brands and think wow, Viper really wasnt so special in my opinion.
I can add the same mark up to a Viper Product, or a Prestige product.
Difference is, i can sell the Prestige product for way less and still offer the customer a lifetime warranty. APS 687 APS 787 APS 997 etc.
It hasnt bitten me in the rear end yet, and i cant really see how it will unless audiovox decides to not warranty their product, but right now their warranty system is at least a million times easier and more reliable than DEIs IMO.
So, i find Audiovox/prestige to be an amazing entry level product. as a matter of fact, i would be completely willing to put a Prestige product in my own car.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic