icon

1 amp or 2, which head unit?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
losthope7 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2008 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  
i was wondering which is better when installing you stereo. having one 1000 watt class d amp. or 2 500 watt class d amp. this is for two 2 ohm dvc subs. if any one can help that would be great.
also i can't decide which head unit is better.
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=4633
or
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=4306
i'm not worried about the price i'm looking for sound quality and power. thanks to any one who is goign to help me.
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2008 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  

What are the model #'s of the amps in question? What about the subs?

If you're looking for SQ, I wouldn't even recommend Pioneer. For $450, you can find a NICE Alpine or Eclipse unit.

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 30, 2008 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  
Given that you are considering the same brand (I didn't look at your choices), it is always better to use one amp than two...if impedance allows it, of course.  Sometimes two amps are used in place of one in a situation where you want to put a 2 ohm load onto each amp.  By combining the subs onto one amp, the impedance necessarily has to go one way or the other, and can't stay 2 ohms.  That's just one reason, but in a situation where you haven't purchased the speakers yet, look into using one amp instead of two.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
losthope7 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2008 at 11:09 PM / IP Logged  
yea i was looking in to eclipse but the one eclipse that i wanted was discontinued. i was looking at getting the mk7100 i believe is what its called. but i got told that it is no longer available so i went for pioneer. i like them and they have all ways treated me good. but the head units are so close in compairson. just trying to get an idea of which was better.
i don't have the amps or the subs picked out yet.
advanced_audio 
Copper - Posts: 170
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2008 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  
pioneer radios have notoriously poor ground planes and you will get all kinds of noise with them. Especially with amplifiers.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2008 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  

Find a Eclipse CD7200ii, that is a solid cd player. www.eclipse-web.com for more info.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic