icon

fixing dusty paint texture

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
grant2207 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2008 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged  

i am painting a fiberglass subwoofer enclosure. first layer (for stripping) is metalic green, second layer is gloss clearcoat for the stripes, third layer is flat black (over all masking of hte stripes), and the fourth layer will be a flat clearcoat.

my problem lies between coats 3 and 4... i applied 4 coats of flat black to the surface, and a half hour later applied a coat of clear coat. the clear coat left a dusty white look over the black.... a closer look showed that the black had a rougher texture, my guess being that dust got under one of the coats...
i was wondering if another couple heavier coats of black would fix this or if i need to sand it down...

if anyone has any other fix suggestions that would be great....

twistedp 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2008 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
does the look bother you or the texture? if the look bothers you, you will need to sand and respray both layers. what kind of paint are you using?
Twisted Performance
thunda_hawg 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2008 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  
sounds like your clear is not set up for the temp range that your in (too hot) your gun is gummed up and not atomizeing properly. try not to tack and whack the clear and use a medium temp catalyst
89' 240sx
Rockford t8004
boston z6 comp.
eclipse 3432
polk MM 8"
Taylor owes Joe a Sandwich
thunda_hawg 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2008 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  

this is based on using urethane two stage paints>  (I use auto air color with HoK inter-coat clears for effects and candies , then transtar euro for the final clearcoat usually)

89' 240sx
Rockford t8004
boston z6 comp.
eclipse 3432
polk MM 8"
grant2207 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2008 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  
i think it was over all the heat.  the dusty texture may have caused the collecting but the heat caused the color.  i sanded it down with 600 grit dry to get it smooth and then clear coated it out of the sun and on a day with a nice breeze.  it turned out much better, with no more white sandy dust stuff on it.
grant2207 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2008 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  
i found the best way to do it...the clear coat is just stupid over all....u just need to load really heavy coats on....like glaze it..... i was afraid originaly of wrinkling but it doesnt at all...it just goes on thick. it smoothed out all sandy spots too....th eonly problem is that i have ran out of paint again....and that doodie is 5 dollars a can! two cans so far.....
jayson33 
Copper - Posts: 165
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2008 at 1:51 AM / IP Logged  

Canned spray paints are for grafaitti artist Its cheaper to buy good paint like Deupont you will get alot better

depth in color and far better mirror like finish. As an end result

P.S. House of Kolor  paints.....can you say crayloa water colors

My wife thinks bagging a truck means you kick it in the truck nuts
thunda_hawg 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2008 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  

crayola?  not sure what you mean.

89' 240sx
Rockford t8004
boston z6 comp.
eclipse 3432
polk MM 8"
jayson33 
Copper - Posts: 165
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2008 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  
thunda_hawg wrote:

crayola?  not sure what you mean.

It's a joke...lol  its very over priced auto paint you would get same results usin' crayola water paints

My wife thinks bagging a truck means you kick it in the truck nuts
thunda_hawg 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2008 at 11:09 AM / IP Logged  

oh i see . definately when you talk colors and clears . I use the intercoat which was pretty cheap like maybe 20/qt is pretty much where i leave it with HoK. I like using auto air and sherwin for base and transtar for clears. HoK intercoats dont have UV protection so you can do effects like chrome and glow in the dark without sacrificing the light reflectionand absorbtion properties. probably why its so cheap. last I heard Hok wasnt all that expensive anymore.

Dupont is also a good choice if our just shooting a single color/single stage.  their  "hot hues" are kinda cool too.

89' 240sx
Rockford t8004
boston z6 comp.
eclipse 3432
polk MM 8"
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic