the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

my first eq

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2008 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  
Not such a huge vent... 4" X 23".  Unibox is pretty accurate and easy to use.  Not as powerful as WinISD, but a much shorter learning curve.  Enjoy.
Support the12volt.com
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2008 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged  
Also, because of the extreme heat, make sure you let the amplifier cool off after long runs in the sun before you turn it on.
2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
lnhiv 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2008 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
Looks like when I screwed the box in place, I somehow hit the gain knob to about half. I turned it back down and re-tuned everything again...sounds good and haven't had any problems yet (used to take 10 mins to shut down and I've taken 30 min drives so far).
I try to let it cool down, but when you live in an oven, it doesn't do a whole lot, lol.
2003 Chevy Cavalier coupe
dragon51 
Copper - Posts: 283
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2008 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  
When I had my car I used 3 box style fans I think they were 7" x 2" to help keep my amps cooler here in Tucson I only wish I would of had A/C so I could of piped some cold air over the amps they dont like our style of heat down here. lol
lnhiv 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2008 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  
I live in Mesa...it's even worse down there, lol.
lnhiv 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2008 at 12:17 PM / IP Logged  
So, last night on the way to work, it was still overheating, with the gain at around 20%...twice.
While at work it rained like a mofo and dropped to like 75-80 degrees outside...bumped it hard all the way home and once I got home...never went into protection.
Problem is officially diagnosed as the amp not having enough heat dissipation ability to handle AZ weather...what's worse is that RF is in AZ, and you'd think they would've thought of that...guess not.
Oh well, I'll just start saving for a new amp then. Now the question is this...Alpine MRP-M450 or M500?? same price, which one is more reliable or better suited (I'm assuming the M500, but I've only played around with the 450 so far).
chillin420 
Copper - Posts: 236
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2008 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged  
what kind of vehicle do you have?  you should wire up some computer fans.  and put them on your rear deck to blow cool air in from ac into your trunk.  i did that when i was out in tempe.  had same problem while i was going to school at mobile dynamics. 
you can do it....
advanced MECP, lol does it really matter....
patience is a virtue
dragon51 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2008 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  

I had a older fosgate power 500 that I had those 3 box fans on and if I startted to push it hard it would also shut down you need to find a way to get more air moving over the amp. I unbolted my rear seat so it could lay down so I was able to have more air flow. I also had no ac so I ran with the windows down as well, when I was really going to beat on the sub. The heat we have is just too much to beat on them with out any air flow. I could be wrong but throwing money at a new amp is not going to help you will still need some airflow to help out  your amp or just play it at lower levels and not ask so much of your amp when it's not as hot here.

I have filters on the work putter so hopefully you can see it because all I get is a red x.

I was using 3 of these http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/1331967/vpcsid/0/SFV/30046my first eq - Page 3 -- posted image.

jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2008 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  

If your amp is in an open airspace, and has proper sized power and ground wiring, then you should just try allowing the amp to cool off before turning it up. I do anyways. I wait until I go down the road about 5miles before even turning my system on -in the summer (SC).

Seriously, if it's getting that hot sitting in the car, then the next one will, too. You said it yourself that it's fine when cool.

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
dragon51 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2008 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
Yes it gets that hot in AZ it's a dry heat so that trick dose not work here it dose in other states. my first eq - Page 3 -- posted image.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic