icon

new build for 2009, how many subs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
evileagletalon 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2008 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  
It's time to change things up a bit. I own a 92 Chevy C1500 single cab short bed. I took out the bench seat and put in 2 power bucket seats out of a 99 Yukon. I currently have a Kenwood KVT-911DVD headunit, an Audio Control Epic-160, A Rockford bD1000.1 for the subs, a Rockford 250@2 for the highs and Infinity Kappa Perfect components all around. For subs, I have 2 12" Eclipse 88120.4 subwoofers in a 2.56cu ft sealed common enclosure. I also have the Big 4 completed. No headlight dimming at all. I really like how it sounds and the subs play every single note without missing a beat. I would say that my current setup is more of a SQL system.
For this next build, I just want to get loud. I want the bass that travels far and hits low.
I was thinking about doing (4) 12" Pioneer champion series subs, or (4) 12" JL W3 subs. My reasoning for choosing the Pioneer subs is that they are pretty cheap and I've done a bunch of setups with (2) 12's and they were pretty loud with clean power.
I'm sure many of you have done setups in a Chevy single cab truck. I don't want to do a cut-through since I carry stuff in the bed of the truck all the time.
What sub setup would be the loudest in my truck? I'd like to keep the enclosure sealed since a ported enclosure would probably make me give up some leg room.
If you guys have other sub and enclosure suggestions, let me know.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 05, 2008 at 2:38 AM / IP Logged  
1 sub.....and a rear end load of power.....
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2008 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  
KarTuneMan wrote:
"So how's that novel comin along Brian...?"
Family Guy. I recognize that!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2008 at 11:20 PM / IP Logged  
one question:  How you gonna fit 4 12" subs in a single cab pickup without ditching the passenger seat?
the fat kid 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2008 at 5:53 AM / IP Logged  
you can do it in mine i just opted for 10s cause they were a bit shallower, but if you care to look on cardomain.com theres a few on ther with 4 12s.
still_walkin 
Silver - Posts: 644
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2008 at 7:02 AM / IP Logged  
Are you going with fiberglass I would hope
1993 sdv
Alpine 4x6 6x9 5 1/4 swr-10d4
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
Nettop pc w/10" touch screen
78nova
5-re audio 5x7 ,10" sub &
Xtx-500.5
"Take the faceplate off get the jumperpack"
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2008 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  

Well, if you do go this route, be well prepared for major dissappointment. You have a stunning system right now. If you want to make changes to it, throw in a Eclipse CD7200ii for a head unit and upgrade to some stellar Morel components. If you have the right box for those subs, 1.25 cu.ft. sealed (for each sub), they will perform amazingly. Box too small = loss of output. Box too big = bass that sounds like a wet fart (ewww).

Now, the magic here for you is the box. It is really all about the box. If you cannot physically fit the PROPER (not manufacturer recommended smallest) box behind the seat, then the sub is not for you. To physically fit 4 12's behind the seat, sure it can be done but not with the PROPER box. This will lead to a total waste of time and $ and end up leaving you going, why the F*** did I just not listen in the first place.

It is all about the box, calculate the maximum amount of space that you can give up, taking into account that you do not want anything directly in front of the subwoofer. The subwoofer neads to "breathe", don't restrict the space in front of the cone, allow 2" minimum from the top of the surround if possible.

Want more output again, choose a sub that will work in a slot port box. Digital Designs for the win in this case. I highly doubt that in a reg cab pickup though that you are going to have up to 6 cubic feet of airspace for a pair of 12's. This leaves you with what was suggested above. A single 12" like the DD3512 www.ddaudio.com and put it in the proper slot port box and call it a day.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic