icon

rpm’s drop when car is in idle

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bni1029 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2003 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  

recently i installed a punch500s and a kicker l5 in my car. i have a 03 galant.  a day or two after i noticed that every time i stopped at a red light my rpm's would drop really low, and my car would even turn off. i have a 1 farad cap, and a yellow top dry cell optima battery. what can i do to make this problem stop? anyones help is greatly appreciated.

brian

wu_187 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2003 at 7:01 AM / IP Logged  
you might need a higher output alternator. newer cars seem to be very sensitive when it comes to a drop in current, and will even shut off sometimes for safety.
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2003 at 12:17 PM / IP Logged  

What size power and ground cable are you using?

bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2003 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  

That amp should use about 36 amps at full power. Your alternator puts out 90 amps (auto transmission) or 75 amps (manual transmission). Now are you running any aftermarket accessories? Also turn off everything except the engine like your lights ac etc and let me know if the rpms still drop. One ore thing do they drop at low volumes middle or high?

Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2003 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  
buy a larger alternator and ditch the cap...
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2003 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged  
buy a larger alternator and ditch the cap...upgrade your wires on your alternator (at least a 4ga wire for charging lead from alt to battery and 4 ga for the ground wire from your battery to the frame of the car) and make sure you have sufficient size wire for the amp...
bni1029 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2003 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  
i am using 4 ga wire for both power and ground. i noticed problem only occurs when radio is on, and car is in drive. while car is in park i can play my radio without a problem. i was told that the problem might go away if i get a smaller pulley for my alternator. is this true?
bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2003 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  

If you get a smaller pulley it might solve the problem. But if you do that then it will generate more heat and possibly shorten the life of the alternator. What is happening is your alternator will only put out its full load at higher rpms. So if your car idles between 800-1000 rpms you might only be getting half of the current as you would at a higher rpm.  So by getting a smaller pulley you are making the alternator spin faster and it will generate more current at a low rpm. Now if your going to swap out the pulley you should just do it right. Replace it with a high out put alternator that is built to put its max current at a low rpm.

Durango9 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2003 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
I also have the dimming/ shut off problem. I have a 2000 Durango and Im running 1/0 gauge to my MTX81000D. The lights dim and rpms drop when parked. Then after driving around for a while with it up loud, and i put it in park it sometimes shuts off. I dont yet have a new battery and i hope that this is all i need.
bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2003 at 9:28 AM / IP Logged  
Running that amp alone at full power will use about 108 amps. I don’t think that a new battery will help you out. You will need to get a high output alternator that can handle your trucks load as will as your amps. You will also need to upgrade your cables from the alternator to the battery and chassis.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic