icon

crunch ground pounder

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rainstony 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2008 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  
I am looking at buying two 15" Ground Pounder subs from Crunch, but cannot find the box reccomendations for them anywhere. I want to run a slot port box with a shared chamber for both. Can anyone tell me the box volumes for these subs, crunch doesn't have them on their website. By the way, has anyone messed with these subs? I have heard good things about these, and have seen them do some incredible number.
"thats like using a tampon for a bloody nose. It will work, but is it really the right tool for the job?" -rza (fiberglassforums.com)
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2008 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  
Are these the subs with the tricked out LED cone? Yeh baby! those glowing blue cones will look fly! It blows my mind seeing how tacky designers are willing to get to make a buck. Has anyone else noticed all the cheap crap never includes specs, suggestions, or useful info. It's Maxxsonics, that explains plenty.
megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2008 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  

audiocableguy wrote:
Are these the subs with the tricked out LED cone? Yeh baby! those glowing blue cones will look fly! It blows my mind seeing how tacky designers are willing to get to make a buck. Has anyone else noticed all the cheap crap never includes specs, suggestions, or useful info. It's Maxxsonics, that explains plenty.

5 years ago I'd put up a fight about the maxxsonics stuff, but now it's monumental !@#$%  I like the Power Akoustic stuff with the little lightning circle on the top.  Just in case your amp blows up or your subs, you'll have a little light to oohh and ahhh to. lol

rainstony 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2008 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  
Does nobody but me read Car Audio Mag? Read the reviews, and head over to termpro.com before speaking down to Maxxsonics. The Crunch Ground Pounders were rated as one of the best subs for under $100. I have also talked to a guy thats been competing in Db Drag with them and hes in the 150's. Also, where else can you get a 1500 watt amp for under $200 that does over the rated RMS at 14.3V. Do some reasearch first. I'm not what you would call an 'ameatuer' in car audio. Pyle, Pyramid, Volfenhag=$hi* Maxxsonics=quality products at a lower price
"thats like using a tampon for a bloody nose. It will work, but is it really the right tool for the job?" -rza (fiberglassforums.com)
advanced_audio 
Copper - Posts: 170
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2008 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  
That's extremely hard to believe that the amplifier really puts out that much power. Do you have a link to a photo that shows the fuse sizes? I have never seen any quality out of the Maxxsonics camp ever. Plus if this sub really has some LED's on it like everyone is saying it has to be junk and the worst sales gimmick i have ever heard of.
edit: Also don't believe everything you read. For example I read an article in Performance Auto and Sound that states how much better "car audio" power wire is than basic copper wire you can buy at your local welding supply center. Copper is copper and oxygen free silver coated 1000 strand copper wire is no better than any other copper wire as long as it's not all plastic and is the size that it claims. It's all marketing. Someone posted a good read stating this, Haemphyst possibly?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2008 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
OK... Here we go...
1: If a manufacturer won't provide you with specs for an enclosure, WHY would you ever buy the products? Sure, two notes might not be a lot of money, and you might be able to do 150dB with a pair of 15's, <cough>bu11$h17<cough>, but two notes to GUESS your way to MAYBE the right enclosure tells ME "Stay away, these are shiny turds."
2: A common chamber slot load is a VERY bad idea. Separate slots and separate chambers. Trust me here.
3: Car Audio Magazine can be BOUGHT. The guy that spends the most money in there, gets the best reviews. It standard fare in the industry, man... Stereophile Magazine got their peepees whacked for JUST this type of behavior. Stereophile Magazine, dude... More people read that one than ANY audio rag. Look up INDEPENDENT reviews and tests on the products, before you decide that we are spewing crap. Maxxsonics is over-rated, over-hyped, Korean/Chinese/Mexican built/designed/distributed garbage, as a general rule. The company with the most products under the marque is the one with the biggest pieces of crap... See: Directed, GM (The defense rests.)
4: Seriously, what amp are you thinking of? What is the fuse rating on the end? Ohm's Law will ALWAYS beat anything that can be typed into a magazine. Fuse value X input voltage X efficiency = TRUE power output. That can't change.
advanced_audio, thank you for remembering... crunch ground pounder -- posted image. (From this thread...)
haemphyst wrote:
There is a $25,000 reward still offered by an engineer (I'll try to locate the name of the guy - DYohn might know) to ANYBODY that can hear, in a true A/B/X, double-blind laboratory situation, the difference between ANY wire and any other wire. You're paying for bling, kids. Go to Radio Shack, and get whatever wire they have on the shelf.
I admit that I, too, pay for the bling, but I do realize that is what I am paying for. I recall about 10 years ago (or so) Stereophile rated Radio Shack 18G solid HOOK-UP WIRE an "A". And it was 3 dollars for a pair of 10 foot cables. In the SAME BREATH, they rated KimberKable a "B", and those were $35,000, for a one meter pair of "oxygen-free, long-grain silver" "special geometry" cables. (Black Pearl, I believe was their title) Forget the names UNLESS you want to pay "for the name". The wire, inside, is the same as any other wire.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2008 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  
"Do some reasearch first. I'm not what you would call an 'ameatuer' in car audio."
As you will find the resident "heads" around here have seen it all. Flea market specials to the stuff that requires a second mortgage. The names of so many companies mean nothing anymore. Marketing hype is what sells and Maxxsonics has a hell of a marketing department. Bose is another example. The stuff flat out sucks! The reviews claim nothing is better. Payoff?? Audiobahn is yet another example.
Part of experience is knowing the difference between fiction and fact. Acoustic and Electronics are based on math and principles. Marketing is based on BS and trends. The magazine reviews, read what's being said and what isn't being said.
Crunch for example, circa 1990 - 1994, the woofers were Eminence. Nothing flashy, priced ok and had decent performance. Their amps were made by Zed. Good quality vs. performance. Everyone was happy. Now the name is the only quality left. Hifonics, no different. MB quart. Same fate. Take a look at Directed. The destroyer of quality, collector of names.
04nata 
Copper - Posts: 358
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2008 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  
I am poor and went with a PYLE head unit, as stated up above by Rainstony, I think this stuff is quality stuff for the price they sell for. Not everyone works at a car audio shop and can get deep discounts or has a sponsor, or even competes for that matter and this stuff seems to give these types of people (like me) a warm and fuzzy feeling, so job done and purpose served. I do not thnkk that thier amps are too good though, I think they have a high distortion rate, I went with TMA, but I have some Directed Xtreme 12" woofers that seem to get the job done......Speaking of Eminence, in my old school Mazda B2000, 20 years ago I ran 2 each 15" eminence down fired about 4 inches from the cab floor (that box was HUGE, 7 cubic feet each sealed) and then 2 MTX 12" all powered by a Sansui amp (300 watt per side at 2ohm stereo if I remember right) and that thing punded 135db at a contest once. It was way cool at the time.
megaman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2008 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  

audiocableguy wrote:
...Directed. The destroyer of quality, collector of names.

lol.  I like that slogan.  Kinda reminds me of Conan the Barbarian.

Most of my heros of the day have fallen victim to the Marketing scheme.  You start with a good product, build it up to a great product, and then cash in.  Most of the time, the decision to cash in, isn't from the guys (or gals) who created the products, but the business guys behind the curtain running things.  There are so many examples of this that it's impossible to find a brand, that isn't outlandishly expensive, that has stuck to it's roots and continued with a great product.  My favorite engineer, Bob Carver, who I've always admired, is a shining example of being a great pioneer in the audio industry, only to have your company ripped from your hands and driven into oblivion.

megaman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2008 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  

04nata wrote:
I am poor and went with a PYLE head unit, as stated up above by Rainstony, I think this stuff is quality stuff for the price they sell for. ....

The challenge here is not to find a quality product for a cheap price, but try to find a cheaper product than Pyramid, Pyle, Crunch, Alphasonix, etc. etc.  I hear people tell me all day that it's pretty good for the price, but you can't get cheaper, so how do you compare?

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic