icon

how to fiberglass? unique whips style?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lilbenny 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2008 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  
so ive been watching unique whips on the speed channel.. and i was studying how they build their fiberglass boxes..
now watching remy (head installer) if you notice when he makes his boxes he gets the structure and covers it with fleece. then he resins the fleece. after that he applys body filler then sands it out..
is that the correct way? that would save so much time and money but is that layer efficient enough? III thought, once the fleece is resin'd you apply the fg mat/cloth THEN body filler over that..
any input?
hottwhyrd 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2008 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  

taking what you saw on a 30 minute tv program (22 minutes without commercials)  then subtract 20 minutes of Stupid Will Castro yelling at his employess. your left with a quick 2 minute fast forward of a box build. not the best video for studiying! lol   screw unique    when the show first started they didnt even do any fiberglass!  and now with the popularity of the show reme had to step his game up!   if you really want to know how to efficiently build a strong fiberglass box there is a whole forum here for your browsing! 

anyways the thickness of your fiberglass is everything. the one layer of fleece that you first stretch on to your frame can be used as the final outside layer of the box if you want. just reinforce it from the back( by not siliconeing the back wood part of the box you can get to the inside of the fg easily.  you can just place strips of ur mat or kitty hair or whatever.  just make it thickif you want to  layer it on the outside of the box thats fine to. it will just take more sanding to make the box pretty.     heres a what not to do story

a week ago my buddy dropped of his 1970 impalla convertible (painted money green with airbrushed flames)  it alredy had a ghetto installed system of decent quality.  i pop the trunk and theres 2 MTX 9500 15s in a fiberglassed box.   i got a freind to help me pull it out and removed the subs.   i found the fiberglass box consisted of 2 35x35 boards spaced 2 inches apart to form a port.  then the frame of the wood had regular black box carpet stretched on it with 1 (one) layer of fiberglass painted on the outside of the box the inside of the carpet was still fuzzy!  2 gigantic subs in a flimsy ass box with a random size port under it all...  lame 

me and my freind folded the box up like a sandwich and tossed it in the trash.

lilbenny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2008 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  
yeah i know the theres alot of useful info on the forum etc.. i actually know how to build a box (by all means not a pro) but i was just curious on their techniques.. just wanted to confirm about it...
megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2008 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  

I agree that watching a 30 minute show will not teach one how to install, however, there are a few tid-bit shots that you see Reme do, that make you go "hmmm, interesting."  One thing to keep in mind is that the guys at Unique have insanely tight schedules.  Things you'd see other shops taking 3 - 4 weeks on, these guys push out in 3 -4 days.  Insane.  When I first started watching those guys I was thinking, "man, you just can't turn out a quality product in that short of period."  But after I met the guys at the last two SEMA shows, I have a new found respect for the guys at Unique.  Besides, do you think the highest level of clientel let them get away with shoddy work?

hottwhyrd 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2008 at 11:24 PM / IP Logged  

I PRESENT TO THE JURY THE CASE OF: orlando browns f 550

google orlando brown unique whips and you see plenty of pics of their "quality" work.

believe me NO PERSON CAN DO A PROFESIONAL JOB IN THAT AMOUNT OF TIME!  unless of course their simply mounting rims to a car and adding a "unique" license plate then shinning the rims with whatever product paid for the advertising.  god i hate advertising.

i dont hate TV installers, we only see 1% of their work but i can gaurantee none of them are at a level above any other installer with 10+ years of expirience.  i have 8 yrs btw lol   im so sick of telling people what i do for a living and they reply "like pump my ride?"

lilbenny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2008 at 12:03 AM / IP Logged  
well in reme's defense hes rated as one of the top 100 or top 50 installers in the nation by some audio judging thingy lol...
hottwhyrd 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2008 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  

lol i hear ya

im pretty sure the "judges" are product reps.  im sure they just list any installers names they can think of! lol

fiberglassman 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2008 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  
I don't think I'd want to take my lambo or benz to a shop that can have a staple gun shoot out around $100k+ cars and trucks. I have no doubt they know what they're doing but I also know how careless they are around some customers "babys". Besides they charge an arm and 2 legs so they'd better get pressured. For the prices Will charges for the simple installs we see on TV, customers should expect the world. Will is more promoter than car guy. Sorry to the will lovers, but anyone who has put out that kind off work themselves at 12+ cars a week will know what I'm talking about. To us it's just another day at work, but we're not on TV, getting paid by "corona" and "armor-all".
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2008 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  
lilbenny wrote:
so ive been watching unique whips on the speed channel.. and i was studying how they build their fiberglass boxes..
now watching remy (head installer) if you notice when he makes his boxes he gets the structure and covers it with fleece. then he resins the fleece. after that he applys body filler then sands it out..
is that the correct way? that would save so much time and money but is that layer efficient enough? III thought, once the fleece is resin'd you apply the fg mat/cloth THEN body filler over that..
any input?
I would be surprised if all he used was the fleece material. Maybe for some basic kick panels or something but most of the time that material is in no way strong enough for a complete enclosure. Even if you covered it with resin.
What I always do is take the fleece to get the shape. I use thin fleece because it is just for making the shape so there is no use in using a lot of resin. Then I add more and more layers of fiberglass mat. That is where you get your strength from. I would be surprised if unique whips didn't do this.
I have seen some material that is like fleece before, in the fact you use it for making the shape. But it is a special type of material that will get really strong when you put resin in it. The only problem is that it uses a ton of resin.
lilbenny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2008 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  
whiterob wrote:
What I always do is take the fleece to get the shape. I use thin fleece because it is just for making the shape so there is no use in using a lot of resin. Then I add more and more layers of fiberglass mat. That is where you get your strength from. I would be surprised if unique whips didn't do this.
same..i was just curious..
by all means i dont support that shop or anything they charge rediculous amounts and will castro is a douchebag and a half. reme is pretty cool tho...
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic