icon

an alarm, 2008 nissan frontier

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
aleshala 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2008 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  

an alarm, 2008 nissan frontier -- posted image.

Hi to all,

I recently discovered this forum, and wanted to compliment the community on your knowledge and a lot of helpful information posted. 

Here is my story.  Recently i bought a new 2008 Nissan Frontier king cab, with RKE, but no factory alarm. After doing some quick research i decided to install the alarm myself.  I don't really care for the alarm itself, but my previous truck had an aftermarket alarm installed by dealer, and it was a programmed for passive arming--when the alarm would arm and lock all the doors 30 sec. after i leave my truck and close the door.  I found this feature to be very convenient, and after 5 yrs i can't live without it (i can never remember whether i locked the vehicle with the remore or not).  I've never installed an alarm myself, but i have experiense installing car stereos and speakers in my previous cars.  And being and HVAC technician, i'm not a stranger in dealing with electrical circuits and diagrams.  So, i hope this project won't be a case of "biting off more than i can chew." 

So i bought a Hornet 727 T alarm, and before digging into the car myself i made some research on this forum and drew a diagram i could work with.  Guys, please take a look at it, and tell me if it looks right to you, and give me your suggestions.  Also, i have couple of questions about things that i'm not sure about at this point.

1. Alarm module has a domelight supervision output.  Do i need to connect this wire? And if i do, do i need to install a relay or i can just connect it directly to Pin 63 @ BCM? 

2. If i'm going to setup this alarm for passive arming, where do i have to connect green (lock) and blue (unlock) wires to activate door locks?

3. Should i use yellow/black (light flash monitor input), or red (disarm defeat input)? And where do i connect them in my truck?

Thank you in advance for your help!

reax222 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2008 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  
1. No, you don't have to. This feature just turns on the int lights when the alarm is disarmed. Some consider it a girly feature, it's not such a bad thing to see in your vehicle though.
2. I can't see your diagram too well, but passive arming should a programed option and not a wiring difference. You should wire the lock/unlock wires into the vehicle. you will probably be lucky enough to find an all lock and an all unlock wire near your factory security/keyless module.
I am not sure about the other two wires your asking about. Input equals intrusion to my mind. So the light flash input sounds like a 12v trigger to me, if this wire sees 12v, then the alarm goes off.
The red disarm input seems like a way to integrate the alarm with the factory keyless, if you have a factory disarm wire, you can tap into it. This might be nice in case you loose the alarm fobs and use the vehicles. After washing my keyfob one to many times it would have been nice to have a way to disarm the alarm without it's fob.
Other than diode isolating a few things, it should be pretty easy. There are some ways around items, that can make the install easier.
hurleyloser 
Copper - Posts: 157
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2008 at 6:04 AM / IP Logged  
i have this exact same truck and have installed a few of these particular alarm modules so feel free to email or pm me if you have any further questions and i'll be happy to guide you step by step.
fist question, you don't need the dome light supervision wire since your factory keyless entry already turns the domelight on for you.
second, connect green and blue to your lock and unlock wires in the truck. this may be the same as your arm and disarm wires.
third, you can use either light flash monitor input OR disarm defeat, but not both. if you use light flash monitor input, this must be hooked up to your turn signals (left or right) since the factory keyless flashes those rather than the parking circuit. this will ensure that no one can disarm the alarm by simply pressing unlock on your door, and the alarm will wait until it sees an unlock signal along with the hazard flash.
if you decide to use disarm defeat, your disarm wire will need to be connected to the driver's door unlock motor side, and this would go to your passanger unlock motor side. this will ensure that the alarm will not disarm if it sees a signal on the disarm wire (driver's unlock) AND passanger unlock motor side at the same time. if you use your factory keyless, only the driver's door will unlock first, however if the switch is used, all of them will unlock, thus the alarm will not disarm.
if you do decide to use the domelight supervision, you can connect directly to the bcm, i believe the only added benefit will be if the alarm is triggered, it will flash your domelight along with your parking lights.
also im assuming you don't have the RF audio package, because if you did, you DO have a factory alarm.
MECP Master Certified Technician
ASE A6 Certified Technician
hurleyloser 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2008 at 6:09 AM / IP Logged  
also, i recommend using your lock motor wires for arm, and unlock motor wires for disarm and disarm defeat, this would be much more secure. if you use light flash input, someone could just turn the hazards on and time it correctly with the unlock button to disarm the alarm...
oh and mine is a 2007 crew cab, but still 99% sure that i can guide you step by step, since nothing much has really changed. i've done just about anything under the sun to it, so please let me know if you have any more questions.
aleshala 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2008 at 12:08 AM / IP Logged  

Thank you guys for your responses and helpful information. Yeah, i got confused about dome light supervision outputs, because i thought every factory RKE also controls the dome light like it does in my truck, so i thought this output might have some additional role.  But now i guess not every factory RKE controls dome lights, so this output is there for those cars.

I understand that i need to connect the green arm input and blue disarm input on the alarm module to truck BCM module at pins 45 and 46, so the alarm will arm and disarm when RKE recognizes the signals from the remote. But as i understand it, if i will program for passive arming, alarm will also have to be able to lock the doors without any signal from the remote.  That's why, in my understanding, there is an additional door lock harness with the green (lock) and blue (unlock) outputs. These outputs also control door locks when the ignition switch is on/off, so that would mean that i can't connect these outputs to the same 45 and 46 pins at BCM, because every time when i turn the ignition on, alarm module will lock the doors and that will arm the alarm (do i understand it correctly or not?).  Therefore, i think that i have to connect those outputs to the truck somewhere after a door lock switch at the driver door.  Please advise if that sounds right and let me know if i need to get into the door itself, or i can make this connection somewhere at BCM, driver's side kick panel or some place else, and what wires/pins do i need to connect it to.

Also, if i am going to use the red disarm defeat input, will i have to connect it directly to lock motor in a passenger door itself, or i can also connect it somewhere at the BCM or someplace else?

Thank you again for your help. 

P.S. Does anybody have a chart with all the BCM pins description?

hurleyloser 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2008 at 12:58 AM / IP Logged  

you can get the passanger unlock motor wire from the bcm. those wires should be fine there, when the ignition is turned to "on" the alarm will know to not enter alarm mode, and will therefore just lock your doors and not arm itself. How about this for your setup...

arm - pin 65 purple@ bcm (all door lock, motor wire)

disarm - pin 59 gray@ bcm (driver's door unlock, motor wire)
disarm defeat - pin 66 blue@ bcm (all door unlock, motor wire)
lock - pin 45 purple@ bcm (door switch lock)
unlock - pin 46 light green@ bcm (door switch unlock)

what trim level truck do you have? xe, se, nismo? I have the diagrams for whatever you need but I'm not sure if some options change from the xe. I'm sure the SE, LE, and NISMO are the same setup with the exception that only the LE's come standard with a factory alarm because of the Rockford Fosgate package.

Grab your ignition, starter, and power at the kick panel. You can grab the door pins, lock, unlock, and motor wires at the bcm.

btw, green goes to lock, blue goes to unlock. hope this helps. let me know if you have any other questions.

hurleyloser 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2008 at 1:02 AM / IP Logged  

is this what you're looking for?

http://909punk.tripod.com/BCS.pdf

aleshala 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2008 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  

Oh man, thank you very much for your last post!

That’s exactly the information I was looking for.  It all makes sense to me right now, and that will complete my wiring puzzle.

My truck is a Frontier SE King Cab with VTP (Value Truck Package). So it comes with power mirrors, power windows, and RKE, but it has no alarm, no immobilizer, and the stereo is just a standard single CD. So far I have only installed OEM fog lights, and OEM navigation cradle for Garmin GPS, so all my factory wiring is in the original un-touched condition, and as far as I know, Nissan didn’t make any changes from 2007 to 2008 models.  Since it looks like you have a lot of knowledge and experience with this particular truck, I hope you don’t mind if I ask you more questions about it.

1. I already have an alarm module( which comes with prewired starter kill relay), soldering iron, solder, heat shrink tubing, and electrical tape.  Besides of the fuse holder for the main power, and four diodes to isolate door pins, will I need anything else for this install? Will I have to diode isolate anything else, or install additional resistors or relays?

2. What would be the best location to mount a siren? What is the best way to run its wire through the firewall?
3. An alarm module comes with four mounting holes at the corners, but instructions recommend not to bolt it to the car’s body.  So, what will be best way to mount the alarm module, so that the built in shock sensor would work properly, and what would be the best location for it and vallet switch?
4. Is there any chance you have a description of what all of those BCM pins mean?

Thanks again for all your help, and for taking your time answering my questions—I really appreciate it.  It is really helpful, and will save me a lot of time and aggravation when I’ll do the installation.  

hurleyloser 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2008 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  

1. You wont need anything else other than the diodes, soldering iron, etc..

2. The best location would probably be behind the front grill. You can also place it high in the engine bay towards the back, there is plenty of room there. I would say go for behind the grill if you have the time. Be sure to aim it down and place it in a direction where it will not invite water into it. The best spot to run the wiring in is through a large grommet in the driver's side firewall. It should be farely easy to see from the engine bay as well as from inside the truck.
3. I don't really know where the best place to mount the brain for the shock sensor to pick up the most impact. I have an external shock sensor myself. I had good results from the metal frame underneath the steering column, if you zip tie it tight, and adjust the sensetivity accordingly, it should pick up impacts just fine there. Experiment with other locations and be sure to keep it as high up and least accessable as possible.
4. Unfortunately there is no "master sheet" for the BCM pin outs, but if you're looking for a wire in particular I am more than willing to let you know where you can find it.

Remember NOT to grab your 12v, or ground from the BCM. Just scrape some paint away and ground at the driver's kick, and you can even grab your starter, ignition, and 12v constant wires there as well.

aleshala 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2008 at 3:56 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks a lot for your tips!

Here is some update: i had a couple of free hours today, so i decided to do some wire tracing in my truck. I located and marked almost everything that i need except for two wires.  Nissan diagram says that for parking lights output i should use "+ gray driver kick, harness to rear."  I found only one set of wires going from driver kick panel to the rear of the cab.  If i remember correctly, there was a couple of black and green wires and one gray wire, but this gray wire didn't show +12V when i turned the parking lights on and appeared to be a ground wire.  Then it got dark, so i didn't have a chance to check other wires, also i didn't have time to locate the brown horn wire.

Could you please help me locate the parking lights wire, and is horn switch in the steering column the only place where i can connect the horn output, or is there a better/easier place to get it (maybe somewhere around BCM), so i won't have to take apart the steering column plastic cover?

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic