Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2008 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  

hello all, i have a 2008 dodge ram single cab pick up, i have

4 diamond audio d1 10's

diamond d3 1001.1

diamond d1 400.1

alpine type r 6.5 components

i am hitting 130-133 db (measured on my friends scoche db meter) i dont knwo how accurate it is but how hard is it really to get to 140db, my original box hit  alittle harder but i couldnt lift the center seat so we had to make a new one, that would allow my console to lift, if i remember correctly the box is .70 cu ft per sub and its seperated into two chambers so 1.40 cu ft per chamber housing two subs per chamber.

also curious what frequency should give the highest reading, im just taking the reading off of music, not test tones.

thanks in advance.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 03, 2008 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  

If you're hitting 133 db now, you would need to double the power to reach 136 db.  A different size or type of enclosure  might give the same boost, but  you have already compromised for the sake of the cab space.  Possible, also, is a change in sub placement or direction.  Just keep in mind that you double the power for +3 db and go from there.  That's why SPL is so experimental in nature.

Try to keep from frying your subs' voice coils by playing sine wave tones at that loud of a level.  If you are testing for nothing else but bragging rights, just keep adding power and all that goes with that, and keep working on best enclosure and positioning.  Take the extra space that is needed for the best enclosure even if you have to give up your girlfriend's seat (what's more important...SPL?) 

The readings you are taking are not entirely accurate, so just have fun with the process.  Extra decibels are hard to find when you are at that level.  My best guess is that you add another sub amp, four more subs, bigger alternator, beefier wiring, more sheet metal damping, a beefier battery...to add 6 db.  Oh, and you also give up the entire passenger side of your truck's cab to fit all the sub enclosures.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
the fat kid 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2008 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  

trust me id like to not have to worry about seating, but the car seat has to go there sometimes, so i pretty much topped out for a single cab truck, barring a bed cut which i wont do cause its brand new. so basically just upgrading to the next higest sub with a larger voice coil and slightly longer xmax wouldnt do me much good?

thanks for the quick response btw.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2008 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  
Why would you want it louder than 130db?  Are you planning to compete?  If you are just listening to music, you do not need 130db.  Prolonged listening to sound over 85db will cause hearing damage, and 130db can cause profound deafness in a matter of minutes.
Support the12volt.com
the fat kid 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2008 at 4:35 AM / IP Logged  
well ive had it for 5 or 6 months ,and im not deaf, and i was noticing that the db drag race numbers are around 145 idk just wondering if  i could get closer to that, and fyi, the interior sound of my truck is at 83db with nothing on,just ac and windows up, hope i dont go deaf from that.
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2008 at 7:43 AM / IP Logged  
    Build a custom console,If you have buckets.............That will allow you more cone area.
the fat kid 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2008 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  
I said in my first post that i have to have my center console to be able to flip up for my son and his car seat, just in case kinda thing, so i guess im about  maxed out for a single cab truck. would 4 12's have much of a difference compared ot my 4 tens?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 04, 2008 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  

Dude, you've got a truck payment, a wife and a baby son.  You've got plenty to worry over besides trying to score db points with your friends.  I suggest you should make the install as perfect as you can get it with what you got...and be proud of your accomplishments.  Biggest reason I say this is SIZE.  You're maxed out.  Twelves take up more room, more power costs a lot of money, and you're not in a position for real competition.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2008 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  

it's like squeezing 1000 hp out of a camry.  You don't have the ride for SPL, room, and there are too many things stacked against you, to do exactly what you're looking for.

Adding more power will give you the extra db's as long as you have the subs to take it.  Double the power for +3db.  If you want to get the highest reading out of your system, you'll need test tones to determine which frequency gives you the most output.  Music CD's are great for "trying" to get the good readings, but to get every last drop out of your system, you'll need the proper test equipment, and the proper testing procedure.  There are specific testing requirements in competition.  You might find the "sweet spot" in your vehicle that yields 140+db in your ride, but if it's not tested properly, it's a false number.

BTW... IMHO, any dimwit with a 130+ db system riding with a car seat, needs a serious adjustment to reality.

the fat kid 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2008 at 5:46 AM / IP Logged  

ok and im not trying to be a dick, but, steve i make enough money to not have to worry about that. and besides i get around 9000 back on my tax returns, which is were the system came from in the first place, so its not like im not paying the cellphone bill so i can get more subs. and the car seat thing, seriously is a incase i have to kind of thing, i have a 4 door f150 also that the family goes in but if i go riding 4 wheelers i take that instead of my dodge. so in that event the car seat has to go in there, and im not trying to impress my friends, this is by far the loudest system ive ever had i was just wondering if there was anything i could do to get more that wasnt radical like a bed cut cause i got a few dudes at work that say  i got ripped off and a different brand would have produced more db, and youve answered that, thank you, i just really dont get where the dimwit with a 130 db system comes from, are you jealous or something? where i put a car seat and when it goes where it goes is my business, you act like i roll with my son blaring the radio and hes crying. and i agree if that were the case i would be a dimwit, but anywho, thanks you did answer my question, albeit coming across a douche bag, well at least megaman.

thanks again the fat kid.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic