icon

nissan versa problem w/sirius

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ddoggin39 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2008 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  

I have recently had a shop install an after-market Sirius Stratus 4 radio. He got it all put together, but now the SRS airbag light flashes on the instrument panel. He said that when he was installing, he thinks he hooked into the wrong power and that he had, at that time, all of the lights onthe dash flashing. He changed the power to a differnet wire, and now his problem. I called Nissan and they said, "did you check the plugs undwer the seat?" Of course we checked those and no problems there. The installer has given up and left me to figure it out. I am going to have Nissan diagnose it, but if anyone has had anything like this before, or can tell me what wire they would have used on the Nissan Versa S model 2007, I would very much appreciate it. I have another Versa identical to this one that I will do the install on this next time on my own. thanks for any help anyone can provide.

jayson33 
Copper - Posts: 165
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2008 at 1:30 AM / IP Logged  
My BMW M3 airbag light was flashing it turned out to be a blown fuse
My wife thinks bagging a truck means you kick it in the truck nuts
ddoggin39 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2008 at 9:12 AM / IP Logged  
I have checked again with Nissan this morning and they seem to think that the installer hacked into the wrong harness. It seems unlikely that he could have went into a yellow or orange wire, which is, I understand, the typical color for the SRS systems. I am not familiar enough with Nissan's color coding to know if this is possible or not. It just doesn't seem that there should be any common wiring between the SRS and audio systems. Nissan is going to run the computer diag. to see what he hacked into.
christexan 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2008 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like he unplugged the airbag light harness on the dashboard, I know with the 2008, you can't unplug that harness, if you do, it has to be reset with an OBD computer designed to reset airbag lights. (In other words, if he unplugged it, even if he plugged it back in, it won't stop until the computer is given the reset code). The trick (on 2008 at least) is the entire "dash panel" for the airbag light (little 2" panel with the logo) can be snapped out of the dashboard (leaving the harness connected) so that you can work on the stereo and still remove the center console panel. Hope that helps
ddoggin39 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2008 at 8:17 PM / IP Logged  

That turns out to be exactly what happened. The tech who put this thing in either didn't know what he was doing, or he didn't want me to know that he had indeed unplugged that harness.

Anyway, I had it on the computer at Nissan and they reset the light which fixed my issue. I subsequently went back in and reworked what had been done at the "professional" shop. I am much happier with what I have done and will do my own installation on my wife's car. It is identical to mine in every way so i should not have any problems with it.

Thanks for your help.

voluster 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2008 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged  

I know those filthy nissans can be a little touchy with the air bag lights if you unplug them.

I have unplugged them to get the radio out or the dash off or whatnot and if you don't disconnect the battery when your doing it. it will throw the air bag light

I'm not seeing the install on you car but don't be so quick to call someone a hack.

It seems on all of the new nissans seem to do this the old ones didn't not. so it could have been that the installer was just not aware that the new ones do this

the only one that can clear that airbag code is the dealer or someone with an expesive scanner with all the updated software.

Not all shops have those scanners  that can clear air bag codes.

offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2008 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  
is this regardless of whether or not the ignition is turned ON? basicaly, if the harness is unplugged but the ignition is never turned on, will the SRS light still trip? I am always extremely careful never to turn the igntion on w/ any airbag/srs light unplugged, but I would like to make sure it wont happen just by disconnecting it.
Thanks
Kenny
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
voluster 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2008 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  

I'm pretty sure if  you don't turn the ign on you won't have a problem but half of these cars you need to have the ign on to get them out of gear to get the dash apart

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic