icon

ast remote start remote sizes?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
zirconx 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2008 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  
Can anyone give me an idea of the size of these remotes? I am wondering how the remotes for the 1270, 1280, and the 3280 compare in size. Which one is the smallest, and by how much is it smaller than the others?
The 1270 and the 3280 look pretty close in size, is that correct? Is the 1280 remote a lot bigger?
The 1270 remote:
ast remote start remote sizes? -- posted image.
3280XR remote:
1280XR remote:
Also wondering how they compare to this Autostart remote:
Thanks for any info.
basketthis69 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2008 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  
I recommend you reconsider your purchase options and go with a DEI product. IMO this is the best product manufactured. Best customer support too!! :) Try this: www.directed.com - roll over "Products" - then remote start/security and anyone of those brands are produced by DEI. You can find them on amazon.com for about what you can find anything else for, maybe a couple bucks more. Trust me, the couple extra dollars is worth it in the long run!!!
Installer for life.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 16, 2008 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  
I've put in a couple of AST units. They seem well made, and installer friendly.
As far as the sizes, the only one I know is the first one you showed, the 1270.
The 1270 remote is just about exactly the same size (and appears to almost be a copy of), the factory GM remote that came with most of their cars from the late '90s to around 2005 or 2006.
A couple of examples I can think of: 2000-2005 Impala/Monte Carlo, GM fullsize trucks up to 2006, 2000-2005 DeVille/LeSabre/Bonneville, ............... if you've seen the remotes for any of the cars like that, the 1270 is nearly the same in size, shape, and weight.
zirconx 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2008 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  
basketthis69 wrote:
I recommend you reconsider your purchase options and go with a DEI product. IMO this is the best product manufactured. Best customer support too!! :) Try this: www.directed.com - roll over "Products" - then remote start/security and anyone of those brands are produced by DEI. You can find them on amazon.com for about what you can find anything else for, maybe a couple bucks more. Trust me, the couple extra dollars is worth it in the long run!!!
Thanks. That last remote I posted, for the Autostart, is a DEI brand. I'm really thinking about going with that one, because its a nice looking remote and is pretty small, but I can't find them for sale *anywhere*.   I can find dealer sites that sell them installed, but I can't find a single place I can order it from. Ebay has *one* unit listed, I might get it from there, but I want to make sure its been replaced under the recall already.
zirconx 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2008 at 6:55 PM / IP Logged  
I still haven't bought a remote starter yet... Really like the features and price of the AST unit, but the remotes just look rediculously huge!   Can't find a decent picture anywhere on the net where I can see the actual size. Any help?
zirconx 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2008 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  
To be clear, I was referring to the AST 1280, not the 1270 that Chris Luongo already graciously commented on.
brhaugen 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2008 at 6:24 AM / IP Logged  
I do not know about the Autostart remote, however the 1280 and 3280 are almost exactly the same size as the pictures. The 1270 almost the same size as the 3280, just a little thinner.
I have been installing Ultrastarts (AST)for about 2 years and I really like them.
I am not knocking DEI, they make good products, but they are not the only brand making good products.
Brent Haugen
Fargo, ND
zirconx 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2008 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  
I ended up purchasing the AST 1270. For anyone who is interested, here is a pic showing how the remote size compares to the OEM remote. Its definitely bigger, but not by too much.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic