icon

zapco subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mark 17 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2008 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  
 Im cosidering buying a pair of zapco i-force 12" subs for 300.00. I think they are 300 watts.  I really like zapco but,  I dont know anything about thier subs these days. Are they any good, and is there anything else out there that will give me a better bang for my buck?  my last pair of 12s were orion and they hit pretty hard , but that was several years ago. 
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 20, 2008 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged  

We had our first experience with those woofers today.  No idea of the model number or series, but they were a pair of 12s DVC 4 Ohm.  One open voice coil on one speaker and push terminal broke smooth off the frame of the speaker on the other.   Looked impressive, but it appears that looks can be decieving.

audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2008 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  
The I-force stuff, at least the amps, are made for Zapco by an outside company. All the other electronics are made in house. I have seen the I-force subs, but did not have a chance to listen to them. The regular line of Zapco speakers are impressive and IMO a bit $$$ Made by their sister company in Italy, ESB.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 20, 2008 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  

The iforce subs are crap.

The iforce amps are ......ok

The iforce mids are not real impressive either.

ALL import stuff..

And it's all toooooo much money!

jayson33 
Copper - Posts: 165
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2008 at 12:22 AM / IP Logged  
Buy Cerwin-Vega made in the USA
My wife thinks bagging a truck means you kick it in the truck nuts
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2008 at 1:52 AM / IP Logged  
Cerwin Vega was medium quality at best, even when Czerwinski was at the helm. The new stuff is flea market. The Strokers were the only thing worth while. Serious SPL, one note wonders. Never to be confused as a SQ product. Too many other choices.
mark 17 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2008 at 9:14 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks guys for the input. I'll pass on the I-force 12s and keep looking. Any suggestions on a set of good guality subs? I'm not competing, but I do want some solid woofers to build my own project system around.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2008 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged  

Zapco's iForce line is made for them by a company in China who also make lots of other brands.  They were designed by Zapco engineers but are intended to be entry-level quality, and while it's not nearly the same as the standard Zapco line I would not call it "crap."  It's probably on the same level as Pioneer, IMO.  Cerwin Vega mobile equipment has not been made in the USA for probably ten years.  Their speakers (just like MOST car audio gear) comes from China too, and the brand name was sold by Stanton to the company who owns Diamond Audio back in 2007.  CV is now sort of the entry-level line for Diamond.

A good set of subwoofers for every day listening?  What is your budget, and will you be constructing your own enclosure?

Support the12volt.com
mark 17 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2008 at 11:38 AM / IP Logged  

I was planning on speding 300.00 but now im thinking i may need to at least  double that to get something decent. I know thats still not alot for whats out there.  After i decide on the subs i will build my oun enclosure depending on the air space they require and range I will want. Ill be looking for help on plans and dimentions then. Its been some time, but the last box i made was i think a fifth order for 12" orions. At the time it did pretty well.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2008 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged  
HERE's what I think is the best 12" subwoofer on the market right now, especially for the price, unless you want all-out SPL.  Check it out.  I currently use one in my car and two in my home theater.
Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic