icon

sound deadening trunk

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2008 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  

I am looking to sound deaden my entire trunk and had a few questions.  I have not done this before so I did not know how much I need to do the trunk.  What is the average amount needed for a typical trunk (I have a VW Jetta)?  Also, would I need any special tools to install this?

I have looked on ..com and saw the results there.  I was thinking about just getting some eDead v1 because it is a good value.  Is this a good sound deadener or should I buy something else?  The main reason I was looking at that was because it is fairly cheap and I was going to buy something from them anyways.  Should I reconsider because I don't need anything that is really nice I just wanted to add a little sound deadening to my trunk.

brukewilliams 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2008 at 11:04 PM / IP Logged  
With the top up and windows rolled up, Mustang convertibles are noisy cars.   The trunk has very little (almost no) sound deadening, and the only thing separating the trunk from the passenger compartment is a sheet of oilcloth (the convertible top's well liner) and a fiberglass panel (the inner trunk liner). You have to live with a lot more road noise than you do in a coupe.
============
Brukewilliams
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2008 at 8:39 AM / IP Logged  
whiterob wrote:
I am looking to sound deaden my entire trunk and had a few questions.  I have not done this before so I did not know how much I need to do the trunk.  What is the average amount needed for a typical trunk (I have a VW Jetta)?  Also, would I need any special tools to install this?
I have looked on ..com and saw the results there.  I was thinking about just getting some eDead v1 because it is a good value.  Is this a good sound deadener or should I buy something else?  The main reason I was looking at that was because it is fairly cheap and I was going to buy something from them anyways.  Should I reconsider because I don't need anything that is really nice I just wanted to add a little sound deadening to my trunk.
The more the better. The eDead (from what I have seen) works well, even though I have never used it myself. My personal experience is with Dynamat Extreme, and I have never been disappointed in IT'S perormance. I've also never noticed any odor from it, either. Thermal stability has been excellent, also.
Any money spent on damping the trunk will be money well spent. Is there a reason you want to target that space first? I generally recommend the doors, both inner and outer skins, first. In my car, I put in an entire box of Dynamat... IN EACH DOOR. Trunk got two, roof got one, and a little better than a box hitting all the other panels through out the car.
brukewilliams wrote:
With the top up and windows rolled up, Mustang convertibles are noisy cars.   The trunk has very little (almost no) sound deadening, and the only thing separating the trunk from the passenger compartment is a sheet of oilcloth (the convertible top's well liner) and a fiberglass panel (the inner trunk liner). You have to live with a lot more road noise than you do in a coupe.
============
Brukewilliams
Car Auctions
What's THAT got to do with the price of tea in China? Can someone say "left field"? The man asked about a Jetta and damping it. You are speaking of a Mustang convertible (a completely different car, by the way), and gave NOTHING in the way of any kind of answer regarding damping...
The signature (which I noticed was typed in) also makes me smell SPAM.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2008 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
The more the better. The eDead (from what I have seen) works well, even though I have never used it myself. My personal experience is with Dynamat Extreme, and I have never been disappointed in IT'S perormance. I've also never noticed any odor from it, either. Thermal stability has been excellent, also.
Any money spent on damping the trunk will be money well spent. Is there a reason you want to target that space first? I generally recommend the doors, both inner and outer skins, first. In my car, I put in an entire box of Dynamat... IN EACH DOOR. Trunk got two, roof got one, and a little better than a box hitting all the other panels through out the car.
The reason I wanted to do my trunk first was because that is where I am getting the most noise. It is mostly coming from my rear deck because of my sub. It is not that bad which is why I was looking at getting some eDead and not something more. I think I'm going to need to look at some more prices of some deadener to see if the price is worth it or not.
I would like to do the doors and all that but right now I don't want to take my door apart and do all the work. Plus I don't really want to spend that much on sound deadener right now.
truebassjunkie7 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2009 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  
I got 25 sq feet of Fatmat, 80 mills thick. $50 shipped it took about 20 sq feet. but the difference is amazing. It hits so clean and crisp!!! I will never go without sound deadening again!!! dynamat is over priced
sound deadening trunk -- posted image. fatmat- clarion                    
truebassjunkie7 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2009 at 11:43 PM / IP Logged  
I got it on ebay it came with the tools and instructions. It was very easy to putt in!!! I have a 2008 scion xb and it was enough to do my whole trunk.
sound deadening trunk -- posted image. fatmat- clarion                    

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic