icon

does it matter what kind of primer paint

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
c4customs 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2008 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  
{TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" UNABLE="on"}{T}{TR height="100%" UNABLE="on" width="100%"}{TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off"}hello i am newly registered and i have been looking for this que and have not found it anywhere. so forgive me if i overlooked it. i am new to fiberglassing and i have done all the interior of my car except the dash so far (window panels, rear window interior speaker panel, door panels, even custom box set up for the trunk), but what i need to know before i proceed with the painting is, does it matter what kind of primer paint i use before sanding it down and painting. i was thinking of car engine primer, because it is very thick and it can stand the heat during the summer. I live n tx, gets very hot here. as a matter of fact i was even thinking of doing the interior paint with the engine enamel paint. need comment b4 i proceed please comment. i will post pix when i figure out how 2.{/TD}{/TR}{TR UNABLE="on" hb_tag="1"}{TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="on"}{DIV id=hotbar_promo}{/DIV}{/TD}{/TR}{/T}{/TABLE}{div style="width:240px;border-bottom:1px solid #eeeeee;margin-top:10px;margin-bottom:0px;"}{/div}{span style="font-size:.70em;line-height:1.2em;color:#000000;"}superman{/span}
jayson33 
Copper - Posts: 165
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2008 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  

I dont think you will need engine primer unless it gets 300+ degs. In your car.What your looking for is any type

of high build auto primer will do you just fine. Do not get etching primer it is for bare metal. Your looking for a high build primer. This will fill in all you little sanding marks You will need about 3 coats. Then If you want

wet sand with 600 grit then spray one final coat of primer. You should have a glass smooth finish.

My wife thinks bagging a truck means you kick it in the truck nuts
c4customs 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2008 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
{TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" UNABLE="on"}{T}{TR height="100%" UNABLE="on" width="100%"}{TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off"}thank you for the response. i actually bought the engine enamel primer and used it today. i then sanded it with 400 grit sand paper, applied glazing and spot putty to all the small cracks and crevices, sanded again with 600 grit, then 400. i used all the primer, but it brought all the imperfections. i plan to now go get the high build primer like u suggested. only reason i went ahead and got the engine enamel was because i checked my email to late to see this. but thank you very much. now would u say i need to stick with the engine enamel since i already started, or can i go ahead to the high build. by the way, does it say high build on the can.   i say can because i dont have a paint gun, yet.{/TD}{/TR}{TR UNABLE="on" hb_tag="1"}{TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="on"}{DIV id=hotbar_promo}{/DIV}{/TD}{/TR}{/T}{/TABLE}{div style="width:240px;border-bottom:1px solid #eeeeee;margin-top:10px;margin-bottom:0px;"}{/div}{span style="font-size:.70em;line-height:1.2em;color:#000000;"}superman{/span}
jayson33 
Copper - Posts: 165
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2008 at 12:37 AM / IP Logged  

They make a high build primer in spray cans also, And yes you can spray over the other primer 1 light coat

2 med. coats should cover all your imperfections. If not add a few more coats. Your prep surface makes the

paint job

My wife thinks bagging a truck means you kick it in the truck nuts

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic