icon

1997 eclipse radio problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
frozenuts 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2008 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  
Heat is also a byproduct of sound. If it is heating up and not shutting off, you may not even have a problem. Still, replace your speakers, since you say they sound bad.
all bad things come in moderation. do not shop at fry's. Get your own log in Omar.
xanderthedude 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2008 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  
Any advice on speakers? Like where to buy and what brand to buy?
xanderthedude 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2008 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged  

So I now have removed all speakers. The front door speakers are shot for sure. The rear speakers may still work but I haven't found a way to test them.

After I took out all speakers I dis-connected all speaker wires from the unit. The unit did not heat up after I did that but as soon as i connected the wires for the front left it started to heat up again. And this is with no speaker. It also did the same for the rear left. Im not sure what to do about any of this.

When I turn the head lights on I loose power to the unit for just a second and the unit comes back on. It looks like the head lights take power away from the unit or something.

This is a car audio problem from hell. I tried hooking up what i think is a good speaker to the front left wires and no sound plays at all and of course the unit heats up. What is going on? Im so lost.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 06, 2008 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  
If the unit heated up when you connected the front left speaker wires to the unit, and there was no speaker connected to the other end of the wire, you have a grounded speaker wire or the positive and the negative wires are shorted together.
xanderthedude 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2008 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  

How do I go about finding the grounded wire or the wires shorted together.

This is hard to explain but ill try. If say all my speaker wires are hanging out of the dash and I am hooking up only 1 speaker. If i hook up that 1 speaker but another speakers wires are left bare. could another speakers wire stop another speaker from working? like its grounded to the dash or something.

Sorry if that sounded dumb. It was hard for me to explain.

i am an idiot 
Posted: October 06, 2008 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  

Are you using the factory wires?  Do you have access to an Ohm meter?  Is there a Harbor Freight store anywhere near you?

xanderthedude 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2008 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, Yes and I think so. Harbor freight is like a tools store right? Kinda like an ace hardware?
i am an idiot 
Posted: October 06, 2008 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  

Harbor Freight is a store that sells tools, they usually have a Digital Multimeter for like 3 dollars.  Since you have access to a meter, there is no need to go to Harbor Freight.    Set the meter to the lowest Ohm setting, or the Ohm setting if it has only one.  Disconnect all speaker wires from your radio.  Touch and hold the black meter lead to a known good ground.  Now touch the red lead to each of your 8 speaker wires, one at a time.  Write down the reading of each wire and post the results here. 

If none of the wires are grounded, you then need to touch and hold the black lead to the left front negative, and red lead to left front positive, notice the reading, write it down and post here.   Repeat for the 3 remaining speakers and post results here.

xanderthedude 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2008 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  

Sounds like a great plan. Ill work on that tomorrow while I am at work.

I know this is off topic but your probably watching the saints game aren't you? I am. Its a great game so far.

i am an idiot 
Posted: October 06, 2008 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  

The Officials need White canes.

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic