1997 eclipse radio problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
xanderthedude 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2008 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  
That was a crazy game on the refs side.
So today I was able to find a stock wiring harness for my car. I wired it up exactly as it is supposed to be. I then proceeded to wire up the head units wiring harness to the head unit. Then I connected them together. Turned the car on and it works. Plays sound wherever I put a speaker but it still heats up. Even when no speakers where hooked up it got too hot still.
I decided to check the ohm output on the wires that the speakers hook up to. I put the negative wire to the negative wire of the speaker and the positive to the speakers positive. Each set read about 6.5 ohms.
Does that mean anything?
xanderthedude 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2008 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  
More news. Now music will continue to play in spite of the heat on the back of the unit. Also turning the head light on will cut the unit off for a second and it will cut off anytime I hit the brights. Seems my headlights take to much power away from the radio. Enough to make it shut off. Could this problem be an alternator problem? Or spark plugs or something under the hood? Batter maybe? Its pretty new. Maybe 3 months. Let me know what yall think please.
xanderthedude 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2008 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  
Batter in that last post is supposed to say battery*
Another new discovery. While I am sitting in the car with it running the sound comes out of the speaker fine but as soon as I start driving around the sound starts to sound like there is static. This problem even occurs when a CD is playing and the antenna isn't plugged in. This car is a 97' eclipse RS. It came stock with an amp under the passenger seat and a CD changer in the back of the car. When I bought the car both of these things had been removed. Could the fact that the amp is missing have something to do with my problem?
xanderthedude 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2008 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  
Can anyone please help?
advanced_audio 
Copper - Posts: 170
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2008 at 12:18 AM / IP Logged  
You will be better off just running new wires to the unit, new speaker wires, a new fused line from the battery to the radio and all that, if the factory amp is removed who knows how many wires are criss crossed.
xanderthedude 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2008 at 5:21 PM / IP Logged  
Well nothing should be criss crossed. Im starting to think it might be the alternator. I will probably just run new wires. Im not sure how to run a wire from the battery tho... I need a constant and a switch wire dont I?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 16, 2008 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  

I really don't think you have a power problem.  It is more than likely where whoever bypassed the amplifier.  You need to look where the amp was and inspect the connections there. 

xanderthedude 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2008 at 4:44 PM / IP Logged  
I checked where the amp used to be and no one bypassed it. They just took the plugs out of the amp and the harness is just sitting there.
xanderthedude 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2008 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  
So i decided to just get an amp and wire it up with my speakers and head unit and skip the the cars stock wiring. I am tired of not being able to get this to work. I dont want to wire my amp directly up to the battery. Should I use this ( http://www.sonicelectrnix.com/item_5288_PAC+PAC-80.html ) to wire it up?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 25, 2008 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  
Why would you not want to wire the amp to the battery.  If you use the Pac-80, it will have to be wired to the battery.  If you are worried about your amplifier staying on and running your battery down, this will not be an issue as long as you connect the remote terminal of the amplifier to the remote wire of your radio, or to the switched wire that turns your radio on. 
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic