Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stevensti 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2008 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  

hey,

i have 2009 Mercedse GL450.

i want a remote starter installed in the truck but dont want the hassel of 2 key pads. what i do to help this? any one ever done something like this before?

the dealer doesnt sell any remote starts. please help

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 06, 2008 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  
There are some remote start add on units.  The way you trigger the remote start unit is by pressing lock lock lock in rapid succession.  The problem with this on a Toyota vehicle is when the car is running, the keyless entry module no longer works.  When the car is started, you can not unlock the doors, nor can you do lock lock lock to kill the motor once it has been remote started.   I am not at all familiar with your vehicle.  If the keyless entry remains working while the motor is running, this may be an option for you.
stevensti 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2008 at 7:22 AM / IP Logged  
from what i heard, its acomplicated vehicle to work on. i have the coded keys also and dont know if that will hinder the opperation even furthur. but your description is exactly what i want. i know the GMC vehiclles have the option to use the factory key pads by pressing unlock twice. i was hope for something like that. do you know the name of the unit you mentioned?
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2008 at 7:34 AM / IP Logged  
If you have keyless entry i.e. get within 10 feet of vehicle and it unlocks, ditto with starting then don't touch this vehicle, you are going to run into a load of expensive problems, eg $1500 to parallel the key slot etc apart from warantee issues.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2008 at 7:35 AM / IP Logged  
Having said that it might be possible to use a DEI CAN adaptor such as the XL series if they have the software info. Also Mike, you're up early.
stevensti 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2008 at 7:59 AM / IP Logged  

the vehicle does not unlock when i get close to it, i have to unlock it my self using the key pads. as far as warrantee is concerned i really dont want to worry about that just done want my kids freezing in the winter.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Posted: October 07, 2008 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  
1. You probably have two (or more) keys, right? Start the car with one key, leave it running, and then press the buttons on the other one.
I'm pretty sure your factory remotes don't work with the car running. If you put a remote start on the factory remotes, keep in mind you'll be forced to unlock the door by hand, with the key, when the engine is running.
2. Using the factory remotes for remote start limits your range to whatever you have now. Can you operate the factory remote from inside your home?
3. Does that Mercedes have real metal (switchblade-style) keys, or is a plastic nub you just stick into a simulated "keyhole" on the dash?
If it's a regular metal key, you'll still pay a lot, but it's doable.
If it's got that laser key, I've met plenty of people who've said "my friend's friend" did one, but I've never seen one of those cars in person with a successfully installed remote starter.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2008 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  

Yes Chris, we've all heard of someone who's done it. (Another urban myth I think) The only way I can see with the plastic key is what I posted above, also I remember doing a 90s SL and that had about 5ign and acc wires apart from ign 1, acc and starter!

Frankly if someone like yourself, Chris Wallace etc had said they had achieved it I ,might believe it.

Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2008 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  
We did a ML once with the plastic key, cost us 2 grand to fix the truck afterwards. Somehow It erased the codes off the key and wouldn't start. They had to replace the antitheft module in the truck. Never will do one again...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic