icon

two speed fans

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jborden 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2008 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
Can someone post a diagram reflecting how to wire a two speed radiator fan? I have a 1978 F100 with a Lincoln Mark VIII two speed electric fan. I have wired in a Power Distribution Block from a 1995 Taurus (currently using the blower relay and one of the ignition wires). I am currently using the blower motor relay for the fan but this does not allow two speed operation or AC operation. I would like to possibly run two controllers, one set for a 170* turn on (low speed) and the other set for 190* turn on (high speed) and also an AC override. The Power Distribution Block has a SPST and a SPDT relay and three smaller rectangular relay type units (what are these things?). These have five prongs each on them. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2008 at 9:06 AM / IP Logged  

what year is the fan motor off of, and how many wires are on it?

jborden 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2008 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
The fan is out of a 95 Ford Taurus. Three wire. Thanks
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 07, 2008 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
The three wires are going to be   Ground,  12volts for low speed, and 12volts for high speed.  You need to mount the fan, and try to figure out which wire is which.  Once you do that, I can help you with the relays to connect it as you desire.
ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2008 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  
holding the plug on the motor with the tang facing you, the wires are, from left to right , black(ground), orange(low speed), orange(high speed). connect the black to a ground. first speed: using a relay connect the center wire(orange) to term 87, connect term 86 to term 87a of the second relay, connect term 30 to a 12v source using 10ga wire and an inline fuse holder, connect term 85 to your 170 degree temp switch. second speed: relay for the high speed. term 87 to the next orange(high speed wire) and 85 to your 190 degree switch, term 87a to 86 of the first relay, term 30 to 12v on a 10ga wire with an inline fuse holder, and term 86 to a 12v fused source. if you dont want to cut the plug off the motor you can purchase the pigtail that plugs onto it and wire onto that instead(much nicer). the CARQUEST part number is S-725. the colors on the pigtail are: black(ground), purple(low speed), and blue(high speed).
jborden 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2008 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  
Okay I will try this. The fan is already in and running on the high speed side with a temp switch set for 170*. I still need to know how to have the AC override both temp switches. The Power Distribution Block has two relays, one SPST and one SPDT. Can some one tell me what the "relay looking" things are that are silver in color? They have five prongs just like the relays. Thanks
ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2008 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  
okay, to get the ac to override, you need one more relay. wire every thing up the same as i described before except do the following: with a third relay, connect term 86 to the ac clutch coil wire, term 85 to ground, term 30 to ground, term 87 to term 85 on the high speed relay together with the wire from your 190 degree switch. that way when you kick on the ac, the high speed is actvated no matter what the engine temp is.
jborden 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2008 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you for the assistance. I will attempt to make it all work this weekend and let you know.
jborden 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2008 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
Will this set up need a diode on the fan power wire?
ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2008 at 12:22 AM / IP Logged  
nope, no diode. ill be outta town till monday, but if you have problems just pm me. you should be fine.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic