icon

car not starting properly when left overn

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
linedriver 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2008 at 12:52 AM / IP Logged  
i find that my car rarely starts on the first try let alone the second or third time through the remote starter when it is left sitting overnight. the remote starter itself works since i can use it easily assuming the car has been previously run during the day and hasnt been left to completely cool down. alot of the times, it keeps on cranking, and doesnt start, or when it does start, it wants to die often until the AAC kicks in which is a 50% chance.
the weird thing is that if i were to physically go into the car and crank the car with the key, it starts up perfectly fine, even when its -30C, and has no issues starting up at all regardless of how long it sits around for. with the remote starter, i find it hard to start even when its +10C outside.
does anyone know what my issue is right here? the model is a polar start two way model number PS7450-TW_FM, and it is installed in a 1990 nissan skyline
brhaugen 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2008 at 6:19 AM / IP Logged  
Do you know if the vehicle is using voltage sensing or tach sensing?
I have run across similar issues with starters that are NOT using tach sensing, in colder climates like ours. If it is setup for Tach sensing, it may not be getting a clean tach signal.
Brent Haugen
Fargo, ND
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2008 at 6:21 AM / IP Logged  
I've had the same issues as Brent, sometimes even from a weaker tach source like a Chrysler injector wire. What is tach connected to?
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
linedriver 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2008 at 4:55 PM / IP Logged  
it is using tach sense directly from the ECU. how would i get a clean signal for the tach?
brhaugen 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2008 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  
Try going to the (-) side of the coil.
Also try re-programing the tach rate when the vehicle is warmed up.
Brent Haugen
Fargo, ND
linedriver 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2008 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  
i run coil on plug, so its hard to say if i can even do that.
would an injector signal from the ECU be a good tach signal? also, is the ECU injector wire always ground?
brhaugen 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2008 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  
I do not know, my wiring sources do not list a 90 Skyline - I do not believe they where sold in the US. Hopefully someone else can help you.
Brent Haugen
Fargo, ND
linedriver 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2008 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  
if it helps, my car uses infiniti Q45 coils
if someone had to run a wire from the injector from the signal, cant you just get it from the ECU instead? i can see how the tach wire can be somewhat weak, but an injector needs a full ground to inject fuel, so it has to be a strong signal there
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2008 at 6:27 AM / IP Logged  
Getting tach from the ECM is fine as long as it is the correct wire. The deal is to find indifferences between the RS and key starting. Is everything at the keyswitch energized using the RS? All ignition wires and acc wires?  How about a second starter wire? The 300Z from 1990 has a BLACK / YELLOW and it is listed as a "cold start wire"
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
linedriver 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2008 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  
that is the only thing i havent connected yet, what does that cold start wire do?
i find that it doesnt matter what temperature it is outside, i can always start it with the key. its when its left overnight is when it has a harder time starting.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic