prestige xr6900

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 11, 2009 at 7:47 AM / IP Logged  
Running the antenna wire on a CR-V:
--You'll be tempted to peel off the door weatherstipping and tuck the wire in that way.
That works fine on any other car, but if you do that on your CR-V, because of the shape/design of the driver's dash, it'll take you forever to get the weatherstipping back in, and even then, you'll never get it to look quite right. So don't do that. I learned that one the hard way!
--OK, so you've got that plastic pillar running up from the dashboard to the roof. At the very top edge, get a hook-shaped tool behind there, pull, and it'll pop loose.
An L-shaped hook tool is best, because if/when it makes a scratch, it'll be on the backside where it doesn't matter. You could probably use a large flat-head screwdriver or something, but be careful.
--You could completely remove that plastic pillar, but you don't need to. Just let it hang there.
--Get yourself a piece of heavy, stiff (but not too stiff) wire, at least a foot long. (If you have leftover heavy-gauge ignition wire from your remote starter, that's perfect. But if you don't have heavy wire, find something else similar.
--Take that heavy wire, reach in behind that loose pillar, and drop it down into that cavity down there. It might take you more than one try, but the other end should eventually drop down under the dash.
--Tape your antenna wire to that heavy wire you dropped down, and pull the heavy wire back up.
--Run the antenna wire up the A-pillar, taking care not to avoid the holes for the clips for that plastic pillar.....know what I mean? When you snap the pillar back on, you don't want that wire getting in the way of your clips. A couple pieces of electrical tape could help to secure the wire in place.
--Gently pull down the front edge of the headliner, run the wire over there to the middle, and mount your antenna.
--Pull some of the rubber door weatherstripping off, but just a little........just the part that runs along the A-pillar......again, DON'T pull out the part that's tucked in behind the dashboard!
--Snap the A-pillar back on, and push the weatherstripping back into place.
rfreslist 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2009 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  

I tried a little bit to pullout the panel and now I got it what you are telling. Thanks.

Yesterday I got my XR6900. I saw a couple of wires and couple of resistors. I didn't see any relay and even I don't know how a relay looks like. Do I need to buy any other parts except those came with XR6900? When should I use those resistors? They have different color codes so, I have to find out the resistor values. Today I ordered the bypass kit DEI PKH34 from ebay. I will wait until I get that bypass kit. Meanwhile I will read the installation manual of XR6900. Did any one installed the xr6900 remote start in CRV 2004 or any remote start in CRV 2004 or xr6900 in any honda? Please share your experience.

Chris Luongo 
Posted: January 12, 2009 at 7:27 AM / IP Logged  
The resistors are for older GM cars with the VATS system, and aren't necessary on your car. But they're handy to save for other projects.
You shouldn't need any relays for a basica installation in your CR-V, unless:
1. You want to install an anti-grind relay, so that during remote start, if you mistakenly turn the ignition key all the way to the Start position, you won't grind the starter, or
2. You want the system to open just the driver's door first, and then when you press unlock a second time, open all the other doors.
If you want to learn about relays, you should go to the top-left of this site and click where it says Relays.
The CR-V is an easy, well-documented car. Use the Search feaure here and probably many of your questions have already been answered. The entire install can be done right under the driver's dash, including a tach wire available inside the car.
rfreslist 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2009 at 12:43 AM / IP Logged  

I will read about the relay from this site. Yes, I want to use the anti-grind relay and open the driver's door first. So could you please let me know what type of relays I should use, how to connect and where should I buy? I am planning to buy and install glass breaker sensor, anyone has any idea what brand and where to buy?

Is there anyway I can connect the factory alarm to the xr6900 sothat the xr6900 will page about the alarm, I know xr6900 is not alarm but just want to know.

Chris Luongo 
Posted: January 13, 2009 at 7:10 AM / IP Logged  
I've never seen a CR-V with a factory alarm. Are you sure you have one? Well, they did have some kind of dealer-installed alarm, maybe you have that?
I can't think of any way to make the XR6900 page you for any reason.
The XR9000 alarm/start combo only costs a little more than the XR6900. Do you have any way to trade up before doing your installation? Otherwise, I see no way you'd be able to even make use of your glass break sensor.
The type of relay you want is SPDT (Single Pole, Double Throw). It'll have five terminals on it.
It's pretty much the most common type of automotive relay around, and you can get it anywhere. AutoZone, Radio Shack, eBay.......you can get it at a Best Buy or Circuit City, but the markup is high there.   
You'll see some that come with a plug-in harness with five wires coming out, and some that come with no harness (you make your own using female crimp-on terminals and scrap wire).
P.S. Not to discourage you, but many professionals still have a hard time using relays, and for a beginner, it's even more difficult. If you plan to install these optional features in your car, take your time, be careful, and be prepared for it to maybe not work right on the first try.
The Audiovox install guide shows you how to do the two-step unlock, as well as the anti-grind relay.
Also note that on Audiovox product, the two-step unlock is set to Off in programming......you have to go into the first menu, and it's one of the last features, to turn it on.
rfreslist 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2009 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  

What I mean is the keyless entry has some feature if some one trys to open with different key then the siren goes on, I don't know it is called alarm or something that came with factory keyless entry. The only reason I didn't buy xr9000 is it could be difficult to install than xr6900. Please suggest me if you think it's not that diffucult to install xr9000 then I may talk to the online dealer. SInce I am a beginner, as you said I may need couple of days to install, so I will do couple of option per day. Thankyou.

rfreslist 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2009 at 2:43 AM / IP Logged  
IF anyone has any idea please let me know about my above question. Since I am new to installing remote start, I am looking for help..
Chris Luongo 
Posted: January 14, 2009 at 7:06 AM / IP Logged  
First try to figure out what's in there right now.
Did you say a siren? If it's a real siren, and not just something that beeps the car horn, then there's some kind of aftermarket alarm in there.
Try to get a peek under the dash, or look at the siren under the hood......is there a flashing red light drilled into the dashboard? Try to figure out what you have before going on.
rfreslist 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2009 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  
Your are right, it is not a siren, it is the horn that beeps when some one trys to open with a different keys. No flashing red light. So now if I want to add glass sensor then the only way is to add alarm not the xr6900? or is there anyway I can add glass sensor along with xr6900? If I go with XR9000, how difficult it is when compared to xr6900? I don't add all the options of the xr9000 then it won't work properly right? Please share your ideas
rfreslist 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2009 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  
Called Audovox tech support and he told me that I can attach the glass sensor to the factory keyalarm ans I can use the XR6900 for remote start. To upgrade to xr9000, I need to spend extra $60, does anyone think it is better to got for xr9000? Main think is I haven't read the xr9000 installation manual, I don't know is it too difficult than xr6900 or not ? any one any idea on this. $60 is ok with the feature we get with xr9000 but the installation part is what I am thinking about.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic