how perfect are your boxes?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigjohnny 
Copper - Posts: 293
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2008 at 8:56 AM / IP Logged  
LOL
Could you provide a little more detail about this formula, and what you mean when you say you knew how wide to cut them based on that formula.
My sub boxes have an angled baffle board similar to that, but with a different angle. Even though I have them cut already, I think that formula would be helpful to me if i understood what you were talking about fully :D
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 11, 2008 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  

That "forumla" is special.  It has a name!   :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_theorem

Kevin Pierson
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 11, 2008 at 10:19 AM / IP Logged  
bigjohnny wrote:
LOL
Could you provide a little more detail about this formula, and what you mean when you say you knew how wide to cut them based on that formula.
My sub boxes have an angled baffle board similar to that, but with a different angle. Even though I have them cut already, I think that formula would be helpful to me if i understood what you were talking about fully :D
Kevin gave you a great link that should explain how that formula works. It's really basic geometry so you should read that link and learn it. But there are online calculators that will give you angles and sides if you do a search. If you don't have a right triangle in your project, then you venture into trigonometry where the math becomes more complex. But again it is important to know if you plan on doing enclosures with complex angles.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 11, 2008 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  
I just use a circular saw...my boxes aren't perfect but they are close enough
1/8" inch or less is my usual.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 11, 2008 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  
Here's a calculator that I use:  http://www.1728.com/pythgorn.htm
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
ragsports 
Copper - Posts: 192
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2008 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  
I know not all people have access to one, but i use a waterjet to cut my boxes, MDF is actually water resistant enough to cut the wood with the water.  After cutting i just let them dry overnight and then assemble next day. 
dangerranger96 
Copper - Posts: 163
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2008 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  
my joints on all of my boxes have been tight from the very first box that i made, but that is thanks to my dad and his carpentry skills, that and my ocd
97 F150, Sony CDX-M630, Sony XM-2165GTX, JL Audio 12W3D2, Planet Audio VX-602, Memphis 15-MC5.7
Yeah it's a mutt, but mutts make the best dogs!
bigjohnny 
Copper - Posts: 293
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2008 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  
i have to agree with the ocd, my skill isnt the problem, its the tools i was working with.
All in all the cuts came out pretty well, and the one angled side was the the only problem.
I still have to finish the boxes and cut the tubes etc.
dangerranger96 
Copper - Posts: 163
Posted: October 15, 2008 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
show us pictures of what you mean... a ruler in the picture to show the actuall gaps will help as well
97 F150, Sony CDX-M630, Sony XM-2165GTX, JL Audio 12W3D2, Planet Audio VX-602, Memphis 15-MC5.7
Yeah it's a mutt, but mutts make the best dogs!
megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2008 at 7:33 AM / IP Logged  

I love math and am good at it.  However, when I'm building a box for work, I'm not spending the extra time to calculate the angles that I need.  Here's a few tricks that I follow, that are basic and anyone can do them.

One thing I'll do is cut my side peices first that have the angles on them.  For example, if I'm building a truck box with an angled front, I'll cut the sides out first.  I use the depth measurements for the top and bottom and cut accordingly.  If the truck I am cutting for has a top depth of 4 inches and bottom depth of 8 inches, then i'll cut my sides with a top dimension of 2 1/2" and bottom of 6 1/2".  That allows me 1 1/2" inches for two thicknesses of 3/4" MDF.  Now, the overall depth of the box will be reduced by less than 1/32" which I can live with.  Using the cut out side pieces, I can now measure the angle at which to cut the front, top, and bottom pieces and tilt my table saw accordingly.  To cut to the specific lengths, it's cut and fit.  I'll cut the piece, then fit, and if it's a bit long, trim it up, refit, etc. etc.  I do this escpecially for the front since there's two angled cuts. 

Another trick I'll do, is actually draw the side profile out in real scale.  I can then take my measurements and cut away. 

I always cut out my side pieces first becuase all the cuts are at 90 degrees.  Then I'll use that as the base for fitting all my angled pieces. 

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic