08 sienna, remote start, problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
slicksam 
Copper - Posts: 291
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2008 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  

Hi guys,

I installed a remote starter on a Sienna 2008. The van came back with a problem. No DRL. I connected my parking light wire (+) from the remote starter to the green wire above the fuses. I think it called the Body control Module(BCM).  I disconnected the parking light wire from the remote starter and started checking for blown fuses and fusible links. I found no fuses blown. Disconnected my starter to see if the drl's would come back.....nothing. I removed the positve post on the battery for 15 min....still found nothing.

I have a really bad feeling that I did something to the bcm.

I was thinking of just wiring up a relay to the headlights, So when he turns to ignition the headlights come on. But I am not sure I want to do that yet.

Any thoughts

Testing is the key
snotdobbs 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2008 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  
You hooked up positive parking lights?  The bcm rests at ground so if you hook up positive lights you blew the fuse in the interior fuseholder(its under the dash).  Take your meter and test for THE blown fuse.  It will be there.  probably under park lights or drl i dont remember exactly which one.  The only way I know of on that van is go negative parking lights and pulse the ignition wire.  you may not have to pulse the ignition but if the customer is lazy and shuts off their lights with the factory remote or lets the autos time out, the bcm shuts down.  Then your neg light input shuts down.  Not all remote start units offer this as a programming option, so you may have to make your own circuit. 
snotdobbs 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2008 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged  
oh yeah i know cuz i f'd one up myself.  Toyota dealer had no clue, found it in 30 seconds.......
snotdobbs 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2008 at 2:07 PM / IP Logged  

err whoops

slicksam 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2008 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  

The wire I got was green just above the fuses. I also tested this wire, when I turn the parkinglights on this wire turned to 12 volts.

I tested all the fuses under the hood and under the dash. There was only 1 fuse that was blown and it was for the tail lights. I replaced that fuse and the tail lights are working. But still lost on the DRL'S. Looks like I might have to bring it to toyota, maybe if they put it on the computer they can see what is going on.  I am starting to think  I might have to pay for a BCM.

you said you did the samething? where did you connect the parking lights?

thanks

Testing is the key
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2008 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
He's right! You cannot use the green positive wire in the van for lights! You must use a negative off the switch. I remember when that body first came out, very popular. We musta did 20 of them in the first 2 weeks and had no clue you couldn't use a positive light wire(no tech help was out yet). Every one came back with a blown fuse for the lights. That said, every one was fine after we changed the fuse. I would recheck them again(and i mean every fuse, not just light related ones)....
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 11, 2008 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
Use negative lights.... GREEN/ black at the switch.
slicksam 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2008 at 7:46 AM / IP Logged  

I know about the GREEN/ black wire at switch now, thanks. I will check all the fuses again. Will keep you posted.

thanks to all who replied

Testing is the key
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 12, 2008 at 8:30 AM / IP Logged  
It'll be the 10-amp "TAIL" fuse in the fuse box that's under the driver's dash.
It's a special, very small fuse. You can use a regular mini fuse and it'll work fine, just the fusebox cover won't fit back on properly.
slicksam 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2008 at 9:34 AM / IP Logged  

Chris read my second post. I found that fuse and replaced it. I got my "TAIL" lights to work again. But my problem is that the DRL'S are not working.

I spent over 2 hours trying to locate EVERY fuse and fuseable links. There was even 2 fuseable links in back of the BCM, there good also. You needed a mirror to see those fuses.

Testing is the key
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic