icon

2005 corolla, remote starter

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rfwave 
Copper - Posts: 120
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2008 at 11:43 PM / IP Logged  

for install a remote starter in this car , do i need a relay for the disarms with keysense wire ? , is it ok to connect the disarm wire from the rs directly to keysense wire of vehicle ?

thanks in advance . 

Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2008 at 6:26 AM / IP Logged  
You don't need a keysense at all in this car. The 05 Corolla has an immobilizer key but no alarm from the factory so there is nothing to disarm.
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 14, 2008 at 7:23 AM / IP Logged  

I vote for YES you will need the keysence....depending on the bypass you use.

And the alarm....  just like was posted here on the volt, a Camery doesn't have an alarm (LE model)

My folks have one.  On the Corolla arm and disarm are controlled with lock and unlock.... if it has security.2005 corolla, remote starter -- posted image.

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2008 at 11:58 AM / IP Logged  
What ever disarmed with keysense?
rfwave 
Copper - Posts: 120
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2008 at 12:25 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks .

i'm still confused ?

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 14, 2008 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  
The diagrams you read are probably written by people just sitting around with a computer and a Toyota shop manual.
I get the feeling they've never bothered to take a look at the actual car, or do any real research.
1. The car's keysense wire is low current. Even if you do choose to trigger it with a ground-when-running output from your remote starter, no relay is required.
2. Keysense generally isn't necessary. The (US) Corolla has never had a factory alarm.
3. You mentioned connecting your factory disarm output to the car's keysense wire. Your factory disarm output (generally) only makes a one-second pulse, and this wouldn't disarm the alarm even if you had one.
You would instead use an output that makes a ground the whole time the remote starter is switched on. (Usually referred to as ground when running, GWR, or negative ignition output.)
4. On the rare chance your Corolla has the extra-cost, dealer-installed Toyota VIP alarm system, yes, triggering keysense during remote start should disarm it.
5. What are you doing to interface with your car's anti-theft immobilizer key?
If you're using a standard spare-key-in-a-box bypass, you don't have to worry about keysense.
If you're using a no-key-required bypass (best one is KEY-OVERRIDE-SL2 from Fortin), it's necessary to connect the bypass module to the car's keysense wire, for programming purposes.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2008 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you Chris for a very clear and concise reply. You've cleared up a keysense issue for me as well since we never seem to come across keysense here. Sorry never seem to do anything ith Toyotas over here, the Corolla is called an Aygo and they al have factory alarms usually made by Fujitsu.
Mike M2 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2008 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged  

Indeed, well written! I have caught my guys doing just what Chris describes in #3. They give a pulse before start to the keysense on a Toyota with factory alarm and it does nothing. Easy thought is if the key is in the igntion it gives a ground to keysense the entire time it is there, so your connection from your RS will need to do the same.

Also, a lot of guys think that just because there is a light on the dash that states "security" it must have an alarm. We know that's just not so and the Corolla is one.

Kartune, we would never doubt your word, but I have never seen a LE with alarm(even the Toyota website states this). Are you sure it's not VIP? They are dealer installed Toyota branded alarms and look factory....

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
enice 
Silver - Posts: 857
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2008 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  

One thing that I have learned about the bypass modules.  They of course need to be connected to the key sense also but at the same time the key sense is being triggered by the bypass module everytime you remote start.  The old 555x does it as well as the Fortin and idatalink modules.  The XK05 doesnt need the key sense since it is programmed through the ECM with the IMI and IMO wires. 

Hence, when installing a remote start  with the modules where the connections are being made at the cylinder the vehicles factory alarm(if it has one) will disarm automatically.  No need to run another wire disarm the alarm.

Mike M2 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2008 at 6:23 AM / IP Logged  
This is true with some bypass's and some cars, but not all. Key in a box of coarse won't disarm anything(tho Nissan's and Chrysler do by just seeing ignition and sentry key), and a lot of bpasses that are just bypass only(no other features like locks or door triggers, like Flashlogic FLTB1 which does require a keysense wire to operate yet doesn't disarm). Every application is different....
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic