1998 jeep cherokee sport remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lostinspace89 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2008 at 11:31 PM / IP Logged  

Hi

I am installing an excalibur al-2000-edp into my 1998 Jeep cherokee sport with a 5 speed manual transmission. My question at this point is. Will I have to power up both ignition wires or just the primary ignition wire. The wiring diagram I was able to collect showed 2 ignition wires and and accessery wire. I have very little experience but I have installed one remote start in the past into a similar vehicle only it was a 1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport. I also was wondering why are there two ignition wires and only one on many other vehicles

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Mike

Long Island

brhaugen 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2008 at 6:23 AM / IP Logged  
My 2 of my wiring sources say yes, you need both ignition wires, the other one says you do not.
I would power both the blue and the BLACK/ orange to be safe.
I did a 1997 a couple of weeks ago and I know I powered both.
I powered both on my 98 Grand Cherokee when I did that install.
I do not know why Jeep started using two ignition wires.
In general, I presume is it because of the increased electronics in newer vehicles.
Brent Haugen
Fargo, ND
lostinspace89 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2008 at 6:41 AM / IP Logged  

HI

Thank you so much. Im wondering what would  happen if you only powered up the primary ignition. Would it actually crank and not start. I am going to power both of them up and now Ill have a question on wiring a relay for that output from the alarm

lostinspace89 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2008 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  

Any help will be appreciated. i just installed an excalibur al2000edp and I am trying to access the installer programming so that I can switch the default automatic transmission to manual. I can access the user section but not the installer programable feature section.

To program these sections I am asked to press and release the valay switch 5 times for the user programmable features and ten times for the installer programmable features. If I hit it ten times I will get the confirmation chirp and then it will chirp 5 more times indicating I am only in the user programming. It says turn ignition on then off and hit the valay switch 5 times at that point you will get a chirp and the valay lights will be red then you hit the button as many times as needed to hit the programable section you want like 4 times to deactivate or activate starter kill.

If on the other hand you want to access the installer programing which I need to do it says simply hit the valay 10 times as opposed to only 5 after turning ignition on and off. Here is the problem When I hit it ten times it simply gives me the 5th chirp and then chirps back 5 times and the indicater lights stay red indicating I am in the user programmable feature section ( not what I need err ) at feature number 5. no mattrer how many times I have tried to hit 10 in a row I never get into the installer program feature which ends up not allowing me to access the feature for activating remote start to work with manual transmission as opposed to automatic. If I where to get to the installer programming section I am told this would be indicated by a green light flashing on the valay switch. I never get that green light. I only get the red light indicating Im only in user programming mode If anyone has any experience with this or could help me I would greatly appreciate it. I am so lost at this point.

This is only the second time I have ever installed a system. I was sucessfull the first time with lots of help and to boot i do beleieve I installed the system correctly. I am able to alarm the car and the starter kill works etc. Im just having trouble with this programming section. Again any help will be appreciated

sincerely

Mike N

long Island

lostinspace89 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2008 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  

I have a excalibur al2000edp and I have aproblem in that I cannot use the existing tack wire because  I cannot program the unit for tach wire sensing and use  ( long Story ) My manual says it can use another source of voltage but it does not say what that source could be. Can I use votage off the alternator? Any help is greatly appreciated

Mike

Long Island

lostinspace89 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2008 at 1:06 AM / IP Logged  

I have been installing a excalibur AL2000EDP and I have been having so many problems. This is only my second alarm system I have ever installed. The problem i am having is getting into installer options via the valet switch to turn on tach sensing. So I opted for voltage sensing. When I hit the the remote start it seems like everything powers up. I have tested the wires coming off the starter kill switch and the 2 ignition outputs that I wired in and they receieve a signal also, yet the truck wont start. Amazingly once in a while after about 8 tries it will start. i continue to test everything and it seems like everything is getting power. The voltage tester I use is one that tests for ground and power so i get a green light on all of the wires coming out of the unit to the ignition and out of the relay if that means anything. I am about to give up on this unit. I have tried everything so Im hoping someone on here can give me a few tips before I pack it in. it seems sad though because like i said it seems like Im getting the power from the outputs to those wires and nothing.

To note I have the tach output connected to the alternator now for voltage output sensing being that I cannot program the tack feature. Before I actually found out that I would not be able to program the tach sensing I did start the tack learning procedure. Im wondering if i have to cancel that out. Again any help would b greatly appreciated. im so disapointed right now. i wanted this to be sucessful and it seems like all my work did not work out. Any help would be greatly appreciated

The vehicle I put this into is a 1998 Jeeo Cherokee manual transmission. Any fuirther information needed Ill be more than willing to give.

Mike N

Long Island

lostinspace89 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2008 at 3:13 AM / IP Logged  

You know I figured out why it wont start. I have to depress the clutch and it will start but now it only stays started for 3 seconds and then dies. Here is the problem now. I set the tack learning procedure and because I cannot program the remote to tach I need to use voltage sensing and now I think the problem is that it is looking for tach signal. Is there anyway for me to have this system unlearn the tach and go back to voltage sensing or does it matter.  The procedure for learning tach involved me turning the ignition on then off then hitting the brake pedal 5 times then actually starting the car and when the lights turned green on the valet the tach was learned. i could be wrong here but I beleieve this could be why it turns off in 3 seconds because i actually have it connected to voltage sensing. I hope there is a solution to this. Any help will be greatly appreciated

Mike

ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2008 at 9:18 AM / IP Logged  
It is talking about using the alternator or battery voltage. the best place to pick it up is right at the battery. what is does is monitor the battery voltage before a start, then recheck the voltage again after a start to see if the voltage is higher, which is should be if your alternator is working. if it is, the module takes that as a sign that the engine is running. it works okay but is no where near as good and reliable as tach signal. plus its a pain to adjust the starter output which is almost all the time too long or too short depending on the outside temp.
lostinspace89 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2008 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you so much. I was able to get it to work with the tach wire. So far so good. I now only have one other problem. The clutch lockout switch. i have to depress the clutch to get it to remote start. Is there a relay I should wire in or should I ground out the switch.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic