icon

cliffnet g5 wizard kit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
benno56 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2008 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  

Hi, I just bought me a Cliffnet Wizard G 5 consumer kit to get control over some features of Clifford caralarms . What wondered me however is the function of the female jack plug that is coming out of the Cliffnet Wizard cable and how to use the cable on a USB port on my PC as was advertised that it could be used with USB ...? Is there some sort of adapter needed ? Thx for your help !

cliffnet g5 wizard kit -- posted image.

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2008 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  
The jack plug supposedly provided 12volts to bench power a unit, it CANNOT be adapted to USB. Believe me we spent 2 years trying. We keep old laptops, loaded with versions 1.1 and 2.2 for just this reason.
megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2008 at 3:29 PM / IP Logged  
Yep, no USB support.  I purchased one for the shop about a year ago and have been searching for a PC with RS232 ever since.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2008 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  
The reason is the software is very glitched, I never suggest a customer uses it. I only ever use it to change the euro versions 4 digit valet code or siren sounds or crank time and that can be a nightmare, it fails to take then you find it's knocked out all the parameters such as auto arming, timings lock pulses etc. They will go over to Bitwriter in the next year or so (G6). What ever happened to controlling Wiz through a Palm or windows Mobile?  In short you need an older computor with that port and pref set to Windows 98.SE XP has troubles and forget Vista.
benno56 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2008 at 8:20 AM / IP Logged  

Well, that makes it clear , just have to find some old PC with an RS 232 port and Windows 98 . Is it still be able to use a palmtop then after all as the adapter is supplied in the kit or is this also false hope ? Thanks for the answers in the first place !!

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2008 at 11:20 AM / IP Logged  
Listen, if you can make it work with a Palm or Win 6.1 and onwards phone/PDA, let me know, I've got an unlocked HTC touch that would be just right.
benno56 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2008 at 3:20 AM / IP Logged  

Happened to achieve an older PC through a friend of mine that runs on Windows 98 and has a RS 232 port ............. I will lock it up in a safe place !  :)

Thanks for all advise from you !

cory_thompson 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2010 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  

Hi guys. Sorry to drag up old posts but i need a little help. I need an old version of cliffnet and dont seem to be able to find it anywhere. if someone could send me a copy of clifnet 1.1 i would be greatful.

On another note, I use usb on my cliffnet 2.2 and it works a treat, I use a usb to serial and set the com port in the control panel to any port 1 - 4 , i am using com 2

this is the converter i use http://www.aten.com/products/productItem.php?pcid=20050107104554001&psid=20050117102915002&pid=2005022316346005

I would be happy to send one to the first person who can get me cliffnet 1.1. i would send more if i had them.

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2010 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  
Love to but I wont. You can't copy them and I've got the only one left so I'm keeping it.
cory_thompson 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2010 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  

there must be somethig that can be done,

I have an avantguard 4 causing me problems

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic