icon

mpyre m65 mids, crossovers info?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
falconyellow 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2008 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  
I have a chance to buy these and would like to use them in a two-way front stage, but I don't know a whole lot about them. I did find some T/S data, but there was no sensitivity information and I haven't seen a response graph. I was hoping Steven Kephart might know something or maybe one of the other members here would. The tweeter I was planning to use was a Vifa DN26.
If anyone knows any info, I'd appreciate it. I don't want to buy these on a lark and find out they won't play high enough to do the job.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 31, 2008 at 1:59 AM / IP Logged  
The Mpyre mid is basically a 4 ohm version of the Extremis 6. Here's quite a bit of information on that driver:
http://www.aranmaracoustics.com.au/extremis.html
I think there is a mistake on Madisound's website because they show that Vifa tweeter with a very sharp rolloff at 2kHz on axis. So I can't tell if that would be a good match for the Mpyre mids.
I may have a solution for you, but will need to check on it first.
falconyellow 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2008 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Steven,
I think that Madisound plot is pretty accurate. These tweeters are not too much different than the Seas neo tweeters. Zaph's info corresponded to the Madisound chart pretty accurately. My crossover is an Audiocontrol DSX (24db/octave, L-R alignment) and I've run them down to 2300 or so just to try it, but I usually cross between 2800-3200.
To the favor of the Mpyre's, I'd be running them in a .42 cubic foot sealed enclosure (each) so the Q would be about .7, which is much better than most car audio speakers which are designed for a door application.
According to the glowing sales literature you directed me to, it sounds like these would be excellent for me, but I've also heard people say they only are good for mid-bass and just don't sound as good in the higher frequency ranges.
I don't have room for a third speaker, or even a large format tweeter, so I'm pretty well stuck with two-way and a small format tweeter.
Thanks again!
Steven Kephart 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 01, 2008 at 1:42 AM / IP Logged  
Maybe I'm looking at a different tweeter than you are. I couldn't find an exact model number match for what you describe, so I assumed you were talking about the D26NC05 which is a car audio tweeter. Here's the pdf: http://www.madisound.com/catalog/PDF/vifa/d26nc05-06.pdf
As you can see there has to be something wrong as it shows a 24 dB low pass rolloff at 2kHz. Are these the right tweeters?
falconyellow wrote:
According to the glowing sales literature you directed me to, it sounds like these would be excellent for me, but I've also heard people say they only are good for mid-bass and just don't sound as good in the higher frequency ranges.
I don't have room for a third speaker, or even a large format tweeter, so I'm pretty well stuck with two-way and a small format tweeter.
I've heard several adaptions of those mids in a 2-way design and they have all been incredible sounding speakers. There are some small measurable trouble spots in the frequency response close to 2kHz. However I've had several people read those same concerns and then take a listen to a 2 way design and wonder what the fuss was about. My center channel in my home theater runs those mids in a 2-way setup and I'd challenge anyone to hear any problems. Also, I'm building a component set for my car right now using the Mpyre mids in a 2-way setup crossed over at 1.6 kHz.
I know that it becomes difficult to believe any sales literature provided by a manufacturer. They like to use fancy sounding words to describe mediocrity along with some minimal test results. However the page I linked you to provides quite a bit of test results to back up it's claims. It's not often you see BL curves, spectral contamination plots, or THD measurements provided for the speaker.
falconyellow 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2008 at 1:03 PM / IP Logged  
Steven,
Yes, that's the right tweeter, I typed the designation incorrectly in my first post. Zaph reviewed the larger format version of the same voice coil (D26NC55) at http://www.zaphaudio.com/offaxis.html and http://www.zaphaudio.com/tweetermishmash/
My main concern, is I don't want to cross these over at 3K and be disappointed with the midrange or have some frequency point that's missing or whatever. I do have an Audiocontrol EQ as well that I'll be using, but that only goes so far.
Thanks again!
falconyellow 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2008 at 2:26 PM / IP Logged  
I was looking at the PDF file and noticed that Vifa recommends a 2.5khz crossover point, it may be that is what they used when making the graph. They have a free-air resonance at 1800, so they can't be played that low really... I might have to find another tweeter.
Any suggestions you can give me would be appreciated.
Thanks!
falconyellow 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2008 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  
Just got the speakers today. After I figure out how to mount them, I'll give you guys my first impressions. These things are deep!
Steven Kephart 
Posted: December 08, 2008 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  
In case you were having problem with the Vifa tweeters, I thought I would provide you with another option. Here's a new set of tweeters that should work out for you: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-865
I just built a component set for my car using the Mpyre mids and a very similar tweeter. The tweeters I used have an xbl^2 motor, but otherwise were identical.
falconyellow 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2008 at 12:39 AM / IP Logged  
I was looking at the HAT L1's, but they are pretty spendy. The Tang Bands look way more attractively priced but a little big. I'm certainly not above "trimming them down" to fit my application though. I'm a little curious about the 8 watt RMS rating? Is that without any high-pass or what?
Thanks for your help so far!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2008 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  
I recently used these HiVi (Swans) tweeters mounted on a client's dash, crossed at 2800Hz from a set of Vifa woofers.  I know the Extremis works nicely up to 2800Hz... not sure about the MPyre version...  http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=297-409
Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic