diode to door trigger

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chadstrawn 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2008 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:

I added a line to my last post after you read it.  It may help explain the pictures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode

i still dont understand how /why , that if u want a negative signal to pass through a diode u cant do anode to cathode, u have to do cathode to anode for it to pass thru, just isnt making sense to me, sry i am probably annoying most of u lol
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 01, 2008 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Check_valve

A diode is an electronic check valve. 

chadstrawn 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2008 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  
[QUOTE=i am an idiot]Do you know what a check valve does? [/QUOTE
i have a basic idea, but plz explain]
i am an idiot 
Posted: November 01, 2008 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
Once again I edited my last post after you read it.
chadstrawn 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2008 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
Once again I edited my last post after you read it.
diode to door trigger - Page 2 -- posted image.
mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2008 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  
Here ya go man.... I'm like you, I know how they work in my applications...but didn't know they work internally. This should answer your question.
http://www.howstuffworks.com/diode.htm
chadstrawn 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2008 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  
diode to door trigger - Page 2 -- posted image.ok so anyone else that didnt understand what i didnt understand, i have done some research and have come to a conclusion, i asked my college teacher
ELECTRON THEORY          Current flows from negative to positive, current flows thru a diode from cathode to anode so the red arrows above are conventional(positive to negative) and the black arrows are electron theory(negative to positive), in my opinion, electron theory makes things so much easier to understand. so as long as u have the most negative side of the circuit on the cathode side current will flow,as soon as u have more positive on the cathode side , no current will flow, its so simple now
i am an idiot 
Posted: November 05, 2008 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
https://www.the12volt.com/diodes/diodes.asp
Copied and pasted from the top of the above page.
1. Cathode (side with the stripe)
2. Anode (side without the stripe)
3. Anytime the cathode is more positive than the anode, no current will flow.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2008 at 12:48 AM / IP Logged  

Start with basics;  having found the door contact wire, open a second door and shut the first, if your meter shows door open still, you won't need diodes and so on for all 4 or 5 doors.  Secondly if your domelight goes out immediately on closing driver's door same again. If the above isn't true then the door contacts (called pin switches) are on separate circuits, eg to do with key sense, door open warnings on instrument panel etc. Thus you would connect to each one and then join together via diodes. With few exceptions these door contacts are negative going or the wire goes to ground on opening, thus band towards your alarm, what you've done is to prevent any false signals going back to the car and messing up processors etc.  The second adaptation is where the BCM  like on nearly all newer cars "goes to sleep" to conserve juice. These units will send a self check pulse around the car at various times often once an hour, causing your alarm to trigger, thus use blocking diodes, the famous DEI 1076. Think current flow, pos to neg, band from source, block pos, reverse band, I know it's hard to explain unless you can picture the circuit intuitively in your mind.

chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2008 at 3:45 AM / IP Logged  
Chad, judging by your earlier post I think you've misjudged which way the current goes on the door trigger wires to the BCM.
The (-) door triggers are inputs to the BCM, not outputs(it uses them to determine the outputs for domelight and other stuff). The purpose of isolating diodes when connecting an aftermarket alarm to separate door triggers is twofold:
1. To keep the door triggers separated from each other.
2. On some vehicles, to isolate the aftermarket alarm from random voltage changes inside the BCM which tend to send enough of a ground to the alarm's door trigger input to set it off.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic