icon

review of the ultra start 1270

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
zirconx 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2008 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  
Is there any place on the 'net where people review remote starter units? I had a real hard time deciding which one to buy. If I could have gotten a little more information about how this one actually works I would have never bought it.
So here are my thoughts on the AST Ultra Start 1270 for future buyers.
The remote is kind of cheesey looking, but I've seen worse. Its an average sized remote. (see pic) I haven't had a chance to test the range yet, but I will post an update when I do.
Here are the things I really don't like about this unit:
  • "strobe" light on all the time on the windshield - there are lights on the antenna unit that flash to help you when programming the unit. But they also faintly flicker all the time. Its only noticeable at night, and maybe I'll get used to it after a while. Right now it does keep catching my eye and its annoying.
  • Have to hold trunk button for 5 seconds - this is kind of ridiculous, standing there holding the button for five full seconds waiting for the trunk to open. It has a dedicated trunk button, too, I don't know what the purpose this "feature" was.
  • Trunk won't release when car is running - this is really annoying. So anytime I remote start the car when coming out of the grocery store or wherever, you can't get into the trunk!
  • tachless mode doesn't work - I found another post where someone was having this same problem. No matter what I did, I just kept getting the "no signal" error code. I finally gave up and ran a tach wire.
Hope this is helpful for someone.
review of the ultra start 1270 -- posted image.
brhaugen 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2008 at 6:30 AM / IP Logged  
I am sorry you do not like your Ultrastart.
Try epinions - that is a great forum for product reviews.
1) The lights should be glowing slightly all the time - they should only flash brightly with the doors locked by the remote. If they are flashing brightly continuously there something wrong with the stater/install. When I install one, I make sure I place the antenna out of the drivers line of site.
2) I would assume they do this so an inadvertent button press doesn't open the trunk without the driver knowing. This could lead to the trunk flying open while driving. Besides, most of the brands/models I have installed had at least a 3 second press for trunk pop.
3) That is a safety feature must be built into the car. I will assume that when you press your dash button for trunk pop (while the car is running) nothing happens. On some vehicles tapping into that button is the only way to activate the trunk release. Have your installer see if he can run directly to the trunk latch motor.
Just my humble opinion
Brent Haugen
Fargo, ND
zirconx 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2008 at 8:30 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply Brent.
1) The lights are "glowing" softly all the time, they are not continously bright. But I still find it distracting. Putting it out of the line of sight is a good idea, maybe I can move it to be more behind the mirror.
2) This could be the reason. I don't know why the OEM remote opens instantly though. Tens of thousands more people the OEM keyless system, and it doesn't seem to be an issue.
I had to hold the button down on my last remote starter, too, but it was only about half or one second.
3) Actually the interior trunk release button always works. Not releasing the trunk while running is a "feature" of the remote starter, its mentioned in the manual. I read about this feature before I bought it, but I misunderstood - I thought you could only not pop the trunk when the car was on with the key. But actually you can't pop it when the ignition is on, whether that be from the key or the remote starter.
zirconx 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2008 at 8:37 AM / IP Logged  
Oh - and my last car with remote starter did have a safety feature about not popping the trunk sometimes - when the car was in gear.   That makes sense to me.   Not popping while the car is running does not make sense to me - I find myself wanting to do that all the time.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic