icon

opinions on wire config

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
carhigh 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2008 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
WOW what a difference!! I hooked the front 6 1/2 doors and pillar tweeters in parallel to the amp. It sounds a ton better, but i dont think the 20 watt factory tweeters are going to live long :) Gonna run the twin sub and amp setup in the wifes car tomorrow and think i might try the freebie tweeters and see the difference if i can get them to fit in the pillars.

With the hook up the way it is, i am running the front pillar tweeters and door speakers at 2ohm's, correct? Which means there is less resistance and more power being forced down the throat of a very crappy set of tweeters ....... right?
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2008 at 7:47 AM / IP Logged  
  If you think the front tweets are going to blow, hook them to the front speaker output of the head unit.
SKratch 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2008 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged  
The load depends on your wiring.... if you run the speakers (all four, 4 ohm) in parallel, {++        --} you'll have a 2ohm load. If you put them in series {speaker one + to amp's +, speaker 1 - to speaker 2 +, then speaker 1 - to amp -} you get an 8 ohm load.
The tweeters with the resistors likely present barely any load at all, as far as your amp will see it..don't worry to much about that, in real-world applications you can really over-complicate when it comes to these things....
And as I'm sure you've learned, the front staging is key. Never amplify behind you..you don't go to a concert and face away from the stage, do ya? Put the amp on the front speakers and tweeters, or all of the speakers (in series, as described above) and run the sub off the rear two in a 2 0r 4 ohm stereo, or 4 ohm bridged load..and that should get you where you wanna be.
SKratch 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2008 at 1:09 PM / IP Logged  
SKratch wrote:
{speaker one + to amp's +, speaker 1 - to speaker 2 +, then speaker 2 - to amp -} you get an 8 ohm load.
That's how it should correctly read...sorry, dude.
carhigh 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2008 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged  
Oh my, i just pulled the factory tweeters and have a problem. They seem to have three poles. positive goes direct to pole 1, negative goes direct to pole 2, then there is also the filter attatched to pole 2 with one lead and the other filters lead goes to pole 3 ...... eeeeek

I am making a blind guess here, that pole 2 is a dummy pole, since the back side does not seem to have a microscopic wire running down into the tweeter. I am going to try and wire the new tweeters i got for free with this filter and compare one car to the other with different tweeters.

Also, thanks for hitting the subject about running them all off the amp. I ran the rears, the doors and the tweeters all off two chans of the amp. It sounds really kick ass and think im gonna do mine also, when im done with hers.

I ran them all in parallel and hope i am not making a mistake !!!
carhigh 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2008 at 3:05 PM / IP Logged  
Great, more confussion. One tweeter has the filter in the negative side and the other has the filter in the positive side. Which one came from which side, i have no clue.
Im not sure if i should put these the same way and see what side gets which one when my car gets home. Any suggestions?
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic